Full of dispair

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
A Very worried Mum

Full of dispair

Post by A Very worried Mum »

Dear All,

I wonder if anyone would be able to help me? I am a very worried Mother who have been through a Bucks Appeal with my Son and we were unfortunately unsuccessful.

Following this rather traumatic time, we have now received our offer from the Council and have been offered an Upper School that we did not put down as a choice. We were so convinced that our Son was going to pass and with the Teachers recommendations - only put one choice of Secondary School down of our list of 6. We have not been offered this school.

To make matters worse, the school we have been offered is one of the worst in Buckinghamshire. The Ofsted Report from 2007 rates it 4 in all Categories.

We have barely got over the shock that we did not get through the appeal and now this. A boy who is border line for Grammar School is now being offered a place at a school that is officially failing. I would welcome any advise as I am quite literally running out of hope, steam and simply do not know where to go from here. Has anyone been through the transfer appeal process???

Thank you in advance

A Very Worried Mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Read the appeals Q & A - you need to show why your child needs the school you put down - your CAF will be there so you can also show you did not apply for the school you have been allocated.

When you get the paper offer you wil see the allocation profile for the school you wanted - how close were you to the cut off distance?

Don't despair - there is hope - set your sights on 12+ too -
banksy1

Post by banksy1 »

I am sorry to hear your news and feel for your son. Your not the only one someone has just said the same on the Kent site about being offered a school miles away and not on there form. Perhaps they will be able to give you an explanation in the morning. x
A Very worried Mum

I guess so. Its just terribly upsetting to be offered a school that is failing. It was in fact threatened with closure last year.
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

If you live in South Bucks, contact comprehensives in Maidenhead - a friend of mine was in exactly the same situation as you last year, did just this and was placed on waiting list for Altwood. After 6 weeks got offered a place.

If you don't live in South Bucks, you could perhaps try something similar with other good upper schools in the area.
Tom's mum

Post by Tom's mum »

If you live in South Bucks, contact comprehensives in Maidenhead - a friend of mine was in exactly the same situation as you last year, did just this and was placed on waiting list for Altwood. After 6 weeks got offered a place.

If you don't live in South Bucks, you could perhaps try something similar with other good upper schools in the area.
A Very worried Mum

We are in South Bucks and I know of Altwood - should I contact the School direct or go through the Council?

Thank you for taking the time to write to me.

A Worried Mum
mummalea01

A Very Worried Mum

Post by mummalea01 »

Dear Very Worried Mum, saying a little prayer for you...does this stress never end? Hoping you get a better school sorted - there's still a lot fat ladies to sing before September!! :?
A Very worried Mum

Thank you, I truly hope so too. Not really sure we can all take much more to be honest ;)

A Tired Mum
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hope it works out for you

Cindyx