Mock scores

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mum2twogirls

Mock scores

Post by mum2twogirls »

Hi my DD sat the 2016 mock earlier this month. Would the scores 46/60 Maths and 34/60 English have been enough to get in to the local Grammar schools this year, i.e. Colchester/Southend/Westcliff? She ran out of time on the English writing section so dropped several points there. Just trying to work through the equations for scoring..... She felt she had not done her best on this occasion!
pushymother

Re: Mock scores

Post by pushymother »

Are you in the Southend Catchment area? If so that would have been enough to get in. Did you give her an extra 10 minutes reading time when doing the English portion?
mum2twogirls

Post by mum2twogirls »

No out of catchment for Southend and Westcliff. CCHS is our closest Grammar. Sitting that exam too. Yes, all time allocated - hopefully just a bad day!
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

Has she taken any CEM mocks? My DD found the timings were way too short to finish most sections. You may want to come up with a strategy for that test.

I think that CSSE score would have been almost enough for out of catchment as well. Don't panic and good luck for your DD on the tests.
mum2twogirls

Post by mum2twogirls »

No, dd has not sat any specific mocks for CCHS just been going through a few worksheets. Am I correct in thinking that there isn't any creative writing in the CCHS exam? What is the breakdown of style? i.e. Comprehension / VR etc? Am new to this and it is all very last minute but figured worth a try......
pushymother

Post by pushymother »

mum2twogirls wrote:No, dd has not sat any specific mocks for CCHS just been going through a few worksheets. Am I correct in thinking that there isn't any creative writing in the CCHS exam? What is the breakdown of style? i.e. Comprehension / VR etc? Am new to this and it is all very last minute but figured worth a try......
http://www.cchs.co.uk/wp-content/upload ... r-2016.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I assume you have looked at the above? That is the test. Multiple choice and no creative writing. Do have your DD have a go with having to mark a separate answer sheet. Some children got off on their marking and had to erase answers and remark to get the right letters to correspond with the right questions. Unfortunately there is no time for that type of error.

Also, children will skip a question thinking they will come back to it only to not skip the question on the answer sheet so be one off and get that whole section wrong, if you see what I mean?

I would suggest once she sits the CCHS test, show her the CSSE test again and discuss how to answer that test which is NOT a separate answer sheet.

My advice is to go through the instructions with her and make sure she completely understands what she is doing before each test so she doesn't waste time trying to figure it out when nervous and under pressure on the day.