Fringe Skills

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

equilibro

Fringe Skills

Post by equilibro »

As we head towards E(xam) day, can you add to this list of fringe skills that my DC has been honing to an ever higher level with each session of help/tutoring that they undertake with me?

1. Pencil dropping on the floor;
2. Rubber dropping on the floor;
3. Turner Prize level pencil doodling on their rubber;
4. Oscar winning yawning;
5. Asking for another drink;
6. Going to the toilet again;
7. Saying that they're too hot;
8. Saying that they're too cold;
9. Asking for the window to be opened;
10. Asking for the window to be closed;
11. Saying that the fridge in the kitchen is making that funny buzzing noise again;
12. Saying that their school doesn't teach them to do multiplication/division/pencil holding/line drawing/etc./etc. that way;
13. All other forms of creative time-wasting.

Oh the "joy" that we shall no longer have to endure once E day has been and gone !! :-)
scary mum

Re: Fringe Skills

Post by scary mum »

Those are skills that will be important to the moving through senior school, GCSEs, A levels etc. Mine have perfected them over the years & I would now consider them experts. Hopefully you will soon be able to add "Wifi too slow to access My Maths" and "Stupid computer lost my essay before I had saved it".
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

"I'm waiting for my friends to log on as its a group project"
raa

Post by raa »

can I have a long bath!!!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

...suddenly deciding that it is imperative to hairdry hair, rather than quick towel over, is my DS's latest delaying tactic...he is well past 11+ though!!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

No serial biscuit eating either? A mere lightweight at the game! :D
mad?

Post by mad? »

DD1 entering 2nd year of Uni and these are still the most used skill she learned from the 11+. Currently 'I need to pack' no, she doesn't, as she didn't really unpack when she came home for the summer, apart from her washing of course :evil:
mad?
marigold

Post by marigold »

Don't mock a good excuse.
I have been using all those myself for quite a while as I have been promising to hoover under DS's bed since the first week of the holidays " To get it all nice for him for the summer " . He goes back to school tomorrow and I have yet to get anywhere close to even heaving the bloomin Dyson anywhere near his bedroom door.
God knows what I will find growing there when I eventually get around to it, at Easter I found his body weight in olive pips and 200 penguin wrappers...
mad?

Post by mad? »

marigold wrote:Don't mock a good excuse.
I have been using all those myself for quite a while as I have been promising to hoover under DS's bed since the first week of the holidays " To get it all nice for him for the summer " . He goes back to school tomorrow and I have yet to get anywhere close to even heaving the bloomin Dyson anywhere near his bedroom door.
God knows what I will find growing there when I eventually get around to it, at Easter I found his body weight in olive pips and 200 penguin wrappers...
I'd be happy about the olive pips, a sophisticated European in the making!
mad?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I can't begin to tell you what someone I know found in a boot hung up on her son's wall when he went to university :mrgreen:
(Maybe this should be in rehab?)
scary mum