A little advice needed

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
cjejmum

A little advice needed

Post by cjejmum »

Hello,

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I could not really find a place to post.

I am hoping to sit my son through the 11+ exams for a grammar school in London.

He is 7 at the moment and going into year 3. I have absolutely no idea where to start or where I would get advice. I have looked into the schools entry requirements that is about it.

Is there any books I can read for advice on what steps to take and understanding the different exams?

Thanks in advance :)
loobylou

Re: A little advice needed

Post by loobylou »

Hello and welcome. Do you have a specific school in mind? If you let us know where in London you are and which school(s) you are considering then I am sure someone will be able to offer advice!
cjejmum

Post by cjejmum »

Hello,

Thanks for the reply. I am looking at Kingston Grammar school and Tiffin boys so far. I live near Hammersmith London, they are the only two schools I have come across so far that I think we live close enough to.

cjejmum

Post by cjejmum »

Also Istock place (Private) and Latymer Upper (Private)
mad?

Post by mad? »

Hi Cjejmum

For info despite its name Kingston Grammar is a private school. If you are looking at the indie sector there are lots of indies nearer you, including Latymer Upper, St Pauls, St Benedicts, Kew House & City. Good luck.
mad?
Stroller

Post by Stroller »

cjejmum wrote:
Is there any books I can read for advice on what steps to take and understanding the different exams?

The children's section of Hammersmith library is likely to have a number of 11+ books. This website sells a parents' guide you might find interesting as a starting point: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... 1plus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise read through old threads here. It's too early to do anything formal with your child but read stories (or listen to them) and ensure he learns his tables as they crop up.
Buying online? Please support music at TGS. No cost to you. Fundraising makes a difference.

Tiffin Girls' School has a designated area; see the determined admission arrangements. Use the journey planner. Note the Admissions timetable and FAQs.
cjejmum

Post by cjejmum »

mad? wrote:Hi Cjejmum

For info despite its name Kingston Grammar is a private school. If you are looking at the indie sector there are lots of indies nearer you, including Latymer Upper, St Pauls, St Benedicts, Kew House & City. Good luck.

Hello, Thanks for the reply!

To be honest I do not really know what I am looking at. Independent is not really realistic for us cost wise with two children at the moment, although some of the independent schools can give bursaries for NHS workers (with other things in mind) so that's a thought..

I cant find other schools near me, I don know if I am looking in the wrong places or just over thinking everything.
Last edited by cjejmum on Tue Sep 06, 2016 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
cjejmum

Post by cjejmum »

Stroller wrote:
cjejmum wrote:

The children's section of Hammersmith library is likely to have a number of 11+ books. This website sells a parents' guide you might find interesting as a starting point: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/shop/9 ... 1plus.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Otherwise read through old threads here. It's too early to do anything formal with your child but read stories (or listen to them) and ensure he learns his tables as they crop up.
Hello, Thanks for the reply!

Thanks for the advice all appreciated. I will defiantly take on board the tables and the rest :) .. I think with him starting year 3 I have just panicked and tried to rush into things.
mad?

Post by mad? »

cjejmum wrote: To be honest I do not really know what I am looking at. Independent is not really realistic for us cost wise with two children at the moment, although some of the independent schools can give bursaries for NHS workers (with other things in mind) so that's a thought..

I cant find other schools near me, I don know if I am looking in the wrong places or just over thinking everything.
Type your post code in to Rightmove, click on the map of the first property that comes up and tick show secondary schools. You can then scroll in or out according to your distance preferences and find all the schools. Latymer Upper offers several full and part bursaries a year but are rigorous in their analysis of your income so what feels like not being able to afford it might not actually be the case! St Benedicts also has a bursary scheme, details on their website. If you are Catholic consider Cardinal Vaughan and Oratory for an academic child. Also, keep an eye on WLFS, tends to have a traditional grammar feel from what I have seen and will have a decent track record (or not!) to look at by the time your DS is old enough. Think long and hard about Tiffin, it is a very long way from Hammersmith. I suspect you are too far from Holland Park but I am not familiar with their current admissions arrangements so take a look.
mad?
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

You are very early in the process so plenty of time.

I would ensure strong grasp of basics before you attempt any 11+ books.

Having said that my for Maths, my daughter seemed to grow up on Bond 11+ Assessment tests for ages 7 onwards. Plus Schoefield and Sims Mental Arithmetic to help ensure basics (times tables, fractions, shapes, etc) were absolutely solid and to try to keep her slightly ahead of what they were teaching in the class. But main thing is going over the basics again and again.

For English the key thing is vocabulary and this comes from reading, reading, reading. Later on you should get him to try some basic comprehensions..

Before you go too far however make sure you have some idea of what schools you are going for. Go and see them. Then base your prep tailored to their entrance exam.