other Cem exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
redbrige

other Cem exams

Post by redbrige »

Being a Redbridge resident if my DD sit for Bucks cem if she is eligible or on higher score will she be offered a place?
I heard Dr challoners seats will be filled up withn 12miles radius from school.

I'm asking because we are interested in Dr Challoners but all the way if we travel and write the exam if they say NO because of distance even after qualifying marks(or highest score) it will be waste of time and effort for DD as she has to sit for CSSC exam after Bucks in couple of days.

Please advise.
scary mum

Re: other Cem exams

Post by scary mum »

Your child will not get into there from Redbridge, and score is irrelevant anyway.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Possibly a silly question, since you seem to have registered your DD for the Bucks exam, but how closely did you read the advice on the Bucks website / Bucks grammar schools' websites before you decided to enter her?

'A child's STTS is not used to work out whether they are more or less likely to be offered a grammar school place. All children who score 121 or more are treated as ‘qualified', and a higher score will not mean a child has a higher priority for a grammar school place. Once they have qualified, children are prioritised for a grammar school place according to the admission rules for the particular grammar school they have requested'.

For DCHS, 'other applicants' may be considered if all places are not filled by qualified girls who fall into any of the six other categories with higher priority. None of those categories is 'getting a particularly high score, regardless of place of residence'.

At least now you know that it would be a complete waste of time for her to sit the Bucks test you can give your DD the glad news that she will be spared a couple of day trips to Buckinghamshire next week and can have a nice rest in between the Redbridge and the CSSE tests instead :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

I was told by Bucks that for DCHS the distance calculation is based on where you lived 12months prior to the test. Therefore even if you made the qualifying score, the distance is based on where you live now. Not where you intend to live prior to the start of year 7
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Perhaps a lesson to everyone to read the admission criteria before sitting the exams. This information is freely available on school/county council websites.
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Northdad wrote:I was told by Bucks that for DCHS the distance calculation is based on where you lived 12months prior to the test. Therefore even if you made the qualifying score, the distance is based on where you live now. Not where you intend to live prior to the start of year 7
Something along the lines of 'Girls residing in the catchment area on 1st October of the year preceding admission...'. I would read this as meaning 'living in catchment at the latest by a date after sitting the test but a couple of weeks before you get the results'? So this October for 2017 entry? At this point in time, you haven't even applied for a place, let alone been admitted. But that would mean,'moved lock, stock and barrel into the residence in question', I would assume.

Although interestingly, the category below that one is just 'girls entitled to free school meals', with no mention of a residency requirement, I think. So a possibility there?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
redbrige

Post by redbrige »

ok clear now...but heard from friends that once we get a qualifying score if we move into the Bucks catchment before we apply for secondary school admissions we are entitled for a place subject to the score.
how true is that ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I think you would need to check individual schools' admissions. I believe for some that may be the case but not all. They have different residence requirements.

I think the school you mentioned has much stricter criteria than others in Bucks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

redbrige wrote:ok clear now...but heard from friends that once we get a qualifying score if we move into the Bucks catchment before we apply for secondary school admissions we are entitled for a place subject to the score.
how true is that ?
Unless yo live in Bucks on 1st October you will not get a place in the first round. Places after that are unlikely and you'd need to move very close to the school to an area you don't even know. Have you visited the school at all and, if so, what does this school have that your local schools don't?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A couple of years back, there was quite an active group in the Redbridge section of the forum (sadly, I don't think many of their DC were successful in the 11+ in the end, though); I'm fairly sure that it was one of them who posted that grammar schools notwithstanding, they were pretty lucky with secondary schools in the borough.