Parents of students starting Y12 in Sept 2016

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

3b1g

Parents of students starting Y12 in Sept 2016

Post by 3b1g »

I thought it might be good to have a support thread, if there are enough of us.

DS1 is starting A-levels in History, Biology and (hopefully) Maths.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Re: Parents of students starting Y12 in Sept 2016

Post by DIY Mum »

Ds2 started new 6th form today and is taking Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Computer Science.

Dd1 returns to her school this week and is taking Maths, RS, Bio, Chem and hopefully, Textiles.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'd suggest they download the current specification for each subject and make themselves familiar with the exam board website.
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Guest55 wrote:I'd suggest they download the current specification for each subject and make themselves familiar with the exam board website.
Thank you. He has found the specifications.
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

dd is doing Music,Maths,Further Maths and Physics. About Fifty new girls in her school.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Brand new school today for dd1! She is taking Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Music. She has already found a friend who was already at the school who goes on the same bus, and was given a tour by the very welcoming "old girls". Happy faces in ss house!

Thanks to all for support and discussion, it has been a great help. Photos to be done today and she is wearing a smile, a nice black and white shirt, and a necklace from her old friends for her recent birthday, depicting the chemical structure of serotonin- EVERYONE asked her about it at the induction yesterday, it was a nice conversation starter. Dd2 helped her with outfit and makeup (she is more inclined to bother with that, hence more skilled! Scrubbed clean and back in navy uniform herself for first day of year 9-no demerits for her!).
3b1g

Post by 3b1g »

Love the sound of the necklace!

Do any of your children have tests this week? DS1 had a Maths test on the first morning (algebra, trigonometry & indices). If he can't pass this on the first or second attempt then he won't be allowed to do Maths A-level and will have to choose a different subject instead.

The subject he is most excited about is History. One of his two History teachers is a friend I've known for ten years. She is an experienced teacher but has never taught any of my children before.
sgcmum

Post by sgcmum »

No tests this week but one in Maths 'soon'. Looks like she'll need ring binders for everything.
new2me

Post by new2me »

Yes, ds started 6th form today. He ignored all my suggestions and signed up for Further maths, Biology and Sociology.
DIY Mum
Location: Not in a hole in the ground but in a land where once they dwelt-the Beormingas

Post by DIY Mum »

Serotonin necklaces are very chic! Apt choice for Chem enthusiasts - very nice of her friends! I'm sure she'll miss them.

No tests here. Just a relaxed induction week for ds2. Has settled down well in his new 6th form. Just as well as you do worry about the pros & cons of the change despite dc wanting it.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now