Class of 2011....from failure to success

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mm23292

Class of 2011....from failure to success

Post by mm23292 »

It seems like yesterday that I first came upon this forum, in the anxious aftermath of the abominable 11plus. From the call from school on the day of the test, to tell me she had been sick, to the unforgettable judgmental sneer from the panel of people deemed fit to determine our child's ability and future success in one loathsome pitiful encounter. The truth would prevail we convinced ourselves, we wouldn't be fabricating sob stories, or using personal issues that genuinely did exist, to some contrived advantage, we rather naively, assumed our open evidence and simple fact honesty, would be held in better regard. Of course we were wrong. The derisory scoffs from friends who had played the game in the way we had tried to avoid, were incredulous of our naivety. So while they skipped happily off to their GS destinations, we felt like the failures who had let our daughter down.
Five years on and here we were again, another anxious wait, another envelope of hope. Only this time it was hers, not ours. And what a joy to see her face when it was opened. Her tears this time, were those of joy and relief, and having reflected on her marvellous achievement since, and the fact she is far from the profile of a typical swot, but a social animal with a simply organised agenda, she is somewhat confused by the process of 5 years ago. Having friends who are now being forced to move on, while she deliberates her well deserved place, based on credible merit and nothing more, she cannot understand why such a system ever existed. Of course, that's a matter for endless discussion beyond here, but five years on from that dreadful time, it did feel good to finally acknowledge that the truth did prevail in the end..it just took a little longer to get there. And I just wanted to say a huge thank you to all those of you who helped and responded and shared your experiences at the time, and indeed since. It has been invaluable, as I am sure it has been to so many. Thank you!
tiffinboys

Re: Class of 2011....from failure to success

Post by tiffinboys »

Huge congratulations and well done to your DD and thank you for sharing such wonderful and inspiring story with all of us. Wish your DD all the best.
wildwest

Re: Class of 2011....from failure to success

Post by wildwest »

hi
I was not on this forum 5yrs ago but reading your post was very touching
It must have been such a proud feeling, both for you and your DD.
As you rightly said, this is more 'her' moment and they own it so much more.

Your daughter sounds like a sensible and determined young lady. Wishing her all the very best.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now