New to Forum

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LovePoldark

New to Forum

Post by LovePoldark »

Hello Everyone, I'm new to the forum and have officially started our own 11+ campaign! It's a long year ahead, with a house move to boot, but really looking forward to the challenge. My son has already completed a foundation course with a local tutoring company and seems comfortable with most subjects. We have always wanted to move into Bucks, it's so beautiful! :D

Looking at Denham at the moment but still seems far to preferred school (RGS) especially since they only went out to 8 miles for this year's offers!

A massive thank you to all the contributors on here, so much food for thought. Hope to help anyone else during the process too :D .
scary mum

Re: New to Forum

Post by scary mum »

Welcome! I think Denham is in a bit of a black spot for choice of GS because of its position on the edge of Bucks, so it's not somewhere I would chose if I was looking for a choice of schools, nice as it is. At one time (may be different now), Gerrards Cross offered about the best choice, falling into catchment (boys) for RGS, DCGS. and JHGS. Check where the coaches run from as well, if Denham is out of catchment there is unlikely to be transport.
scary mum
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Most of the Southern Bucks children (Iver, Denham, Stoke Poges) are likely to go to Burnham Grammar with some travelling across to Beaconsfield High (girls), though it's entirely possible to apply further west/north.
Take a look at the cachement map that Sally Anne's put in stickies at the top of the forum, it also has a link somewhere to how far out of cachement each school has offered in the past,
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you want RGS then Denham is not the place to live. Which primary would he attend? There is only one local school which is not necessarily one people would want.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hello!

We are hoping to move to Bucks too! Not sure where to though. And for my son to sit the 11+ next September, although he has no tuition so far and I'm slightly panicking as I work full time & can't fit it in :cry:

Where are you moving from?
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Welcome LovePoldark :)

I have friends who live in Denham whose boys go to John Hampden in High Wycombe. I'm not sure if this is through choice or where they were allocated. They are very happy there.

I have been through this before with my older son and have currently got a son in year 5 so will be going through it again next year-can't wait :roll:

I'm sure you will find the people on this forum very helpful and knowledgeable.
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hello BlueBerry

I know how you feel-it is daunting. However I'm lucky enough to work part time and I'm panicking too and wondering how I'm going to fit it all in but you can only do your best.

I must be honest (and I have said this on here before) if I were you and I lived in an area where there was a decent secondary school then I certainly would not be moving. I have been through the system before and I can assure you it is a very stressful time and I certainly would not put myself or my family through it unless I had no alternative.

I am dreading going through it again (more so this time around if I'm honest) as my younger son really wants to go to school with his big brother and I know he will be devastated if he doesn't qualify for Grammar.

Anyway, I'm sure you know what you are doing so I wish you the best of luck. The secondary school open evenings are soon so if I were you I would go and have a look around them with your child and see which one/s you like best and have a look at their catchment critieria if you are still determined to move into the area.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi 2littleboys,

I've already got the time off from work to visit RGS & JH schools in High Wycombe. After the advice given here, my son & I will be attending the open mornings. I'm also hoping to visit Burnham Grammar.

If he does get in RGS or JH then it's really convenient for me as 2 members of my family live within 10mins drive and can help out in case of emergencies.

I'm slowly beginning to panic at the amount of work that my son has to get through for the 11+ test. I've thought of tuition centres but they are too far from me.... and more importantly we need a weekend slot which seems like gold dust.

It must be tough for you already having one at grammar & another to sit the test. Is he as clever as his brother? Am I naïve in thinking that if he's clever then he will get a place?
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi again BlueBerry

That's really good that you are able to go to the open mornings and see the schools "in action."

Fingers crossed if my son qualifies he should get a place at my older boys school (DCGS) as we are in catchment and he has a sibling there. However you just never know as things change year to year.

I think that my year 5 boy is as clever as his older brother but he is very young in his year so I don't think he has the emotional maturity that my older boy had. We will certainly give it our best shot.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hello again :)

Oh my goodness, your Year 5 boy sounds just like my son! He is a late July birthday and whilst he is bright he lacks emotional maturity. And he needs to toughen up before embarking the crazy journey of secondary schooling!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now