Still on the waiting list for September 2016 entry....

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
girlsmum

Still on the waiting list for September 2016 entry....

Post by girlsmum »

Hi, does anyone have any experience of this?

My daughter is currently 2nd on the waiting list for CCHS. Obviously the term has now started, I was just wondering if anyone has been in this position and been offered a place? I understand the waiting list is open until Xmas, but are we now looking at it being extremely unlikely of an offer, or is there usually further movement once term begins. I kind of had in my mind that there may be someone who doesn't turn up etc?

Any words of wisdom would be gratefully received! My daughter has now started at our local school and is really happy there, but still having the uncertainty of whether she will get a place puts us in a difficult position.

Thanks....
kenyancowgirl

Re: Still on the waiting list for September 2016 entry....

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Why not ring the school, explain your position and ask if there is anyone who hasn't turned up? At least you would know then.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

It does happen. In 2013 for example, September places were offered at CCHS, ColCHS, KEGS and SHSB. Places were offered about 10 days into the school year.
KB

Post by KB »

There are various cases of pupils simply not turning up but I believe the school has to make reasonable efforts to contact them before withdrawing the place do it can take a while to work through.
Also, there have been cases of pupils turning up bit then withdrawing after a few days/weeks. In one case this was due to the reality of the long journey.
Cuddlermum

Post by Cuddlermum »

Just noticed yesterday, that in ds CRGS maths textbook, (year 7), in 2014, it appears the book was issued to a pupil at the beginning of Sept and then re-issued to another on 29 Sept. (In all other years they look to have kept the book for the year).
littlemissm

Post by littlemissm »

At KEGS a boy joined year 7 at end of Sept 2014, not sure if the place that became available was due to someone leaving or not turning up.
Good luck !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

When DS2 started at SHSB in 2014, one teacher commented how organised a particular boy and his parents had been, to get him kitted out in such a short space of time, the boy he replaced (who was still on class registers) having apparently moved to Hong Kong at the very end of the holidays. No-one knew, of course, how much notice the parents would have had of their need to move. Perhaps they were just super efficient at packing.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
girlsmum

Post by girlsmum »

Thank you everyone for your replies. It's just so frustrating being SO close!!!

I've spoken to the school and they can't tell me whether everybody turned up, which I expected, so it's just a case of waiting and hoping for the best.....

PS. If anyone has a daughter in year 7 at CCHS and they mention that someone hasn't turned up, please think of me and let me know! x
seriousmum

Post by seriousmum »

I have everything crossed for you. I vaguely recall that when my DS started at CRGS in 2013, there soon became a place available because a boy dropped out. I think he just couldn't cope with the grammar school system. I remember posting about this on the forum back in 2013. Good luck
SlighlyStressedMum

Post by SlighlyStressedMum »

According to my son two boys joined his yr 7 form midweek this week, at least one of whom had spent the start of the week at a different new school, so it definitely does happen. Fingers crossed for you x
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now