Adams Grammar Test Letter

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
OliverBBommel

Adams Grammar Test Letter

Post by OliverBBommel »

Hi, we received the letter from Adams Grammar about their 19 Sept Entrance test earlier today. The letter mentions something about the results being advised on 28th February 2017. I thought their websites said that the results -- or at least an indication of it -- would be out around 17th Oct -- so that "parents can make an informed decision" for filling in the CAFs. Has anyone else picked this up from their letters from Adams?

Adams Grammar Admissions page:
http://www.adamsgs.org.uk/admissions/en ... procedure/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by OliverBBommel on Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wolvsparent

Re: Adams Grammar Test Letter

Post by wolvsparent »

I can only comment on what happened last year:

Mid October we recieved a letter stating whether it was recommended that you apply to Adams (those parents that had also ticked the Queen Mary Boys box also found out their scores, which gave us a much better/realistic understanding of the "recommended" statement)

End October choices have to be submitted to LA.

1st March received school place offers.

Maybe they mean results of school places posted/sent out on 28th Feb???

Hope that helps.
OliverBBommel

Post by OliverBBommel »

Thanks wolvsparent -- that's what I would expect for this year's test results too -- that they would be out some time before the CAF closing date, "for parents to make an informed decision", as their website says. That's why I can't make sense that my letter from them today has 28th Feb 2017 down as results date! How did your initial letter announce the result date -- mid October or end of February?

Are there any other parents up for this year's test at Adams, having the same letter?
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

We have received our letter from Queen Mary this week, different school I know but same consortium.

Under the heading 'Notification of Results' it states they will post results to parents around 17th Oct.
Under the heading 'Allocation of places at the school' it states you will receive notification on or around 1st March 2017.

Maybe a quick phone call to the school could clarify this for you?

An interesting point to note - the letter states the two test papers are about an hour each, they have been 45 minutes each in previous years.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I guess it is because in October all they are doing is advising you of how your child has done (at this point you have not actually applied to them....) - if you then apply on the CAF, the "results" will be notified on National Offer Day, which I assume falls at the end of February 2017.
OliverBBommel

Post by OliverBBommel »

Thanks for all your replies. I emailed the school and they helpfully replied -- so mystery is solved now! It confirms all of your suggestions. The school will send a letter mid October -- before the CAF closing date -- with enough information for parents to make "an informed decision" -- these are not the "official" results though. The results themselves will be dispatched by the LA by the end of February -- effectively by means of the 'One' school being offered to each child.
wolvsparent

Post by wolvsparent »

Unfortunately if you only selected Adams as schools you were interested in, you will never find out your actual "result" (I think some people did apply under freedom of information but I'm not sure whether they got their score in the end).

You'll get a "recommended/not recommended to apply" letter in October, pre CAF deadline.

Good luck for the 19th. My son has just enjoyed his first three days there and even survived his first rugby encounter!
Cosmo6

Post by Cosmo6 »

Sadly, I have just read Adams entrance test procedure. It states that if you are sitting the exam at Adams and you ticked the box showing an interest for Queen Mary's too, you WILL NOT receive separate results from each school (like last year) We will only get a letter from Adams, indicating 'suitability' for the school, with NO SCORE. Basically leaving us in the dark for another 4 months!!!!!

We went through this last year and it was awful. We only ticked AGS and got a letter saying DS was 'suitable' for the school. We had no idea of his score and whether he had any realistic chance of getting a place.....we listed it as our 1st choice and waited up on 1st March to find he did not get in. It was really stressful, especially knowing that some people had received their scores from QMGS and could make much more informed choices.

I think it is terrible that they wont give out scores, wont even reveal what the pass-mark is and have now stopped Queen Mary's from sharing the score too!! Our younger DS is taking the exam on Monday and we ticked QMGS box specifically so we would get an actual score this year and not have to go through the stress of having no clue of the chances of getting a place...now I find out that it will make no difference.

How can we make an informed choice with no score. When my older daughter went through this, it was straightforward...she did the exam , we got her score (she did very well, luckily) and we knew she would definitely get a place at either school she liked. If she hadn't done so well at least we would have had plenty of time to consider other options.....rather than having that 4-5 month nail-biting wait for midnight 1st March!!!!.... :x
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Surely you must receive something relating to your score at Queen Mary? They can't use the same score for both schools unless they standardise the raw scores of all candidates together - in which case, no need to tick a box to say that you are interested in the other school at all at this stage. If only a proportion of the AGS sitters also ask to be considered for QM and vice versa, the standardised scores each sitter's raw score equates to will differ for each school, even if not necessarily by very much.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Does anyone know the reasons why a school would not release scores in this way, what is the benefit and to whom?

Was anyone eventually able to obtain their scores last year by applying through freedom of information?

Our DS is sitting QM on Monday but we did not express and interest for AGS, I really hope we will receive his score come mid October, I don't think my nerves will hold out until March :shock: !!!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now