Good luck everyone

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

redapple

Good luck everyone

Post by redapple »

Dear All

Fingers crossed I hope we all get what we have been dreaming off. No more sleepless nights.
jaya

Bucks results out

Post by jaya »

We have our results and feel very sad, our son did not get a place offered to him despite his high result of 141. As my daughter is already in RLS, my son was very very upset and went off crying............

I hope the rest of you have better luck.

Can anyone advise what is the best thing to do next.............expect going for an appeal......
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

oh dear jaya, so sorry to hear your news. It's tough on your son, fu11stop!

Are you out of area? Not sure if any Bucks regulars are sti11 around to answer your question. He certainly did very we11 to have a 141 score.
I'm sure you gave him lots of hugs and praise and told him it's not his doing that he didn't get a place.
I can't help but thought I'd offer some moral support..thinking of you a11.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Jaya,

Did your son not get offered a place because his sister is (or will be) in the 6th form? We could be in that same situation next year so would be interested to hear how you get on.

Have a look at the allocation profile for RLS here: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... 1210190437

and check your home distance using the instructions in this thread:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... hp?p=52530

The allocation distance is likely to increase slightly after the first round of allocations, so - depending on how far out you are - there is a chance that you could still be offered a place under the distance criteria if you go on the waiting list. I think you should also consider appealing on the grounds that your son has a sibling at the school.

He certainly deserves congratulations for that super VRT score - nobody can take that away from him! :)
jaya

Post by jaya »

Thank you, both. My daughter is in year 12 and therefore we have lost the sibling link.

Any idea how to check door to door distance? We treid the the link suggested but have not been able to work this one out. It gives the distance by car etc...........

My son is really upset because we had also applied to be tested a year early without success.......and made an appeal against this decision...and failed..........
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Jaya - I've sent you a PM. :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

jaya wrote:Thank you, both. My daughter is in year 12 and therefore we have lost the sibling link.

Any idea how to check door to door distance? We treid the the link suggested but have not been able to work this one out. It gives the distance by car etc...........
Hi Jaya

I am very sorry to hear your news - it is very tough when you already have a sibling at the school. To my mind the rule should be amended for those who have had a sibling who attended the school in Years 7-11 who is now in Year 12 or 13. The Year 12/13 rule is designed to exclude siblings of pupils who transfer into 6th form at a different school. (Even then the logistical problems for some families of having children at different schools can be huge.)

The distance check is worth doing just in case there has been an error of calculation. As Marylou said yesterday, errors can happen.

You need to calulate the distance by car, so exclude public transport from your search. Enter your own postcode in the first box (From), and then the postcode for RLS in the second box (To). Then go to Advanced options, Car Journey and select "shortest route", instead of quickest. Then click on Next at the bottom of the page. It takes 20 seconds or so to process. Then read off the distance for your journey.

If you are still stuck, send me a PM with your postcode and I will calculate it for you.

I suggest that you post it back on here, and we may be able to give you a view on the chances of a place turning up during the 2nd round of allocations. Don't despair yet - places do materialise over the next few months, and we will support you over on Appeals if you have to go to that.

Are you in County or Out of County?

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
out of county dad

Post by out of county dad »

Here's the actual doc.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/get/asset ... rofile.pdf

all the best
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne - I was tinkering around with Transport Direct late last night (sad I know :lol: ) and discovered that you can enter your actual address and that of the school, to get a more accurate distance. The difference between one end of a postcode and the other can be quite significant...but of course it can work both for and against you.

I suspect BCC might be using this method to calculate their distances for allocation purposes.

Meanwhile I'm off to check the route for possible footpaths! :lol: (Well, you never know - it might be possible to shave off the odd quarter of a mile!)

Marylou
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

That's worth knowing Marylou - thank you.

A hundred yards or so could make the difference, especially when it is as close as OoC Dad's case!

The footpaths database on Bucks doesn't really seem to apply to senior schools. :? Although of course, with local knowledge it might make a difference.

However, none of the GS allocations are so close as to make footpaths relevant. There aren't many children who would walk 5 miles to and from school.

Sally-Anne