another dilemma - westminster or highgate for son 7+

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

londonparent

another dilemma - westminster or highgate for son 7+

Post by londonparent »

thank you all and the forum for very valuable insights in helping make our decisions

in all probability we are going to choose highgate for DD (only awaiting henrietta barnet results today). our son 7, was offered admissions in number of schools of which we hv turned down st pauls colet court, but accepted westminster underschool, we still have an option open for highgate

I wondered whether you hv any advise on the pros and cons. obviously we are tempted by the idea of sending both to same school, but I know that my son is very keen on westminster. 7 is quite a young age and not sure whether he can decide what is best (not any worse than we can perhaps!) although I do believe in instincts. I am just trying to come to a decision which is better informed and one that I feel confident about

many thanks for your help
mm3

Post by mm3 »

At 7 I would be very serious about taking distance into account. It is a long time before he can travel on his own. Also he is very young - the days can be very tiring - a long car journey will not help either of you. I don't know which is going to be nearer you, but it is also worth thinking that with children at opposite end of London, you are going to miss a lot of concerts, events, sports days etc when they clash.
londonparent

Post by londonparent »

thanks for your advise - I think we need to give a rethink

we live near regents park, so kind of in the middle

the problem is that getting highgate has not been easy for our DD - we think it is much better than the primary she is at in terms of the pace of work that will help her eventually

on the other hand, we have a very determined son (in another post I wrote how he stood outside another primary where we had him admitted, refusing to go in when he was 6, and eventually we had to move him to a school of his preferred choice). He has his hearts set on westminster under-school, and no matter how much we have tried to deter him, inlcuing the possibility that Highgate is willing to accept him a class higher. he is not interested in budging (and he knows the value of class higher or lwoer, as he will step down from current '2 levels higher than age group' primary, to his regular age group class in westminster)! so tricky!
aifos

Choices!!

Post by aifos »

Just out of interest, why have you decided on Highgate versus Channing? We are ourselves trying to choose between Channing and a grammar school (St Michael's). So far, we have been unable to come to any conclusions. Any feedback would be great.
londonparent

Post by londonparent »

no problems, to be honest, as people have written, both schools are equally good academically, locationally same, high pastoral care, but are still different (coed vs single, large vs small size). Also gives us an impression that channing may give slightly more individual attention and more nurturing rather than highgate due to smaller size although understand pastoral care in high gate is very good. And better dinners (not that it is a criterion) but just something we learnt

Although I say, overall academics are on par our decision was nevertheless still based on academics - due to soem nuances, where we think that greater % of childern in Highgate choose the 'harder' subjects (and our daughter is interested in medicine). Highgate is also more Maths focussed (much greater numbers opting for Higher Maths, has a Maths club). Frankly, as Channing is small, and lower % opting for harder subjects - our DD may have veryy few colleagues in a similar boat evnetually. Highgate has equally good GCSE as Channing but in 2007 had fewer As at A level - we understand because Channing had an exceptionally good year driven by some of the 'softer' subjects. But then we think that with the second batch of near equal girls/boys going in Grade 7 in 2008, the results may improve further in few years time

do you have any insights

thanks
aifos

Post by aifos »

Thank you for that. I was interested in your decisions because you mentioned that you had gone to see Channing. We went on the open day tour but it seems like a long time ago. We had a very quick tour anyway so did not speak to many teachers. Did you get a feel for teacher's quality and type of girls there? I was very impressed by head.

Incidentally, I know a girl at Highgate who is very happy and doing well. Our dd definitelly wanted an all girls school, so it wasn't for us.

Our choice is slightly different because we are choosing between state/private, but your input has been v. helpful.
mm3

Post by mm3 »

It strikes me that you will need to make sure that you have got all the transport issues sorted out - you can't drive in two directions at the same time, so will either need two people to take the children to school, or for them (or at least one of them) to be an independent traveller very soon.

The traffic up to Highgate is not easy.

Does one or the other school provide transport ?

The thing I have always found hard about having children in different parts of London (and working in yet another part) is that it can all go absolutely fine, and be a very finely tuned to work perfectly, until something goes wrong. Then the distances and the slowness of the traffic just make it too difficult to sort out the problem properly.

However, it is also important to put your child in the school that is right for them.
beenherebeforebutnoeasier

Post by beenherebeforebutnoeasier »

aifos - have sent you a pm. ( I hope!)
mm3

Post by mm3 »

Hello London Girl,

Have you decided ? Tough to have to decide for two children at once.
londonparent

Post by londonparent »

guess you meant me londonparent

yes - it is westminster for DS and highgate for DD

dont know how we will make the logistics work

will make them work somehow! - after all - we are talking about 170 days in a year!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now