Time warning

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Rollon13th

Time warning

Post by Rollon13th »

Is it normal to give a time warning as test comes to an end my daughters school didn't give a time warning so didn't know the test papers was coming to an end so didn't get the chance to make sure she had answered all the questions like she had been told to do so when practicing, whereas a friend at another local school did so they were able to answer all questions my daughter thinks she missed about 10 questions in total over all the papers I'm now worried this could be the difference between passing or not especially as she is a September birthday so needs to get more questions correct to pass. My worries already heightened as her school hasn't had anyone with a pre Christmas birthday pass for the last few years.
Last edited by Rollon13th on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
FortyNinePence

Re: Time warning

Post by FortyNinePence »

It seems to vary from school to school, which seems very unfair.

I am saddened but not surprised that your school hasn't had anyone with a post Xmas birthday pass since they changed the test in 2014, with less Qs in Maths and English, making the age standardisation a joke. :(
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I think you should email Kent CC just in case you need to make a case for Appeal (hopefully it won't come to that for your dd).
Rollon13th

Post by Rollon13th »

grgygirl wrote:I think you should email Kent CC just in case you need to make a case for Appeal (hopefully it won't come to that for your dd).

Thank you for your reply
Parent from school that did give a time warning did suggest I could perhaps use the fact had no time warning as an appeal but then I thought well really she should have just answered all the questions and if she needed to just guess a load at the end then she isn't suitable to pass and it wouldn't be upheld in an appeal. It is all so stressful just assumed she would get a warning there was no visible clock and wasn't allowed a watch and all through practice always said when you get a time warning to say test is nearly up make a mark in all the empty spaces
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I am flabbergasted that a school (in a county that has an opt out system) and has assumedly run 11+ exams every years for the last goodness knows how many years, did not have a visible clock in the room!!!! For goodness sake - having a clock in the room is a basic! They must know - where parents are always looking for extenuating circumstances to aid an appeal, that these things will come up! If they had a clock and your dd felt she couldn't see it, but didn't indicate this to the invigilators at the beginning, so they could do something to rectify it, that is a different story, of course.

With regards to the time warnings - I am assuming the instructions in Kent are not on a cd? This would again be a basic and simple way of ensuring every candidate had as similar an experience as possible. Do you know anyone else who was in the same room - would they also be prepared to tell Kent County Council that there were no time warnings? The more people who express that this was a concern in that room, the more it adds credence to your dd's experience.
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

Which school is this Rollon13? As others have suggested, perhaps you should write to the Kent Council. The instructions to the invigilators at various schools must have been the same but your one chose to not follow them.
YogaMan

Post by YogaMan »

:shock: no warning on end time, no clock and watch not being allowed is just crazy. I had assumed watch would be an obvious requirement and the school would have encouraged appropriate use of a wrist watch at least!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

KCG ,
Kent has an opt in system.

OP, perhaps contact KCC and ask whether it is standard and, if so, you have it on record.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Apologies - I was trying to think of a way of describing a county with pretty much "full" GS coverage! and could only think of the Bucks equivalent!
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Kent did allow watches as long as they weren't 'multi-functional'.