How did everyone get on today?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

geocachers

How did everyone get on today?

Post by geocachers »

DS sat the test at Marling. We were both soooo nervous this morning! Relieved it is now over!

He came out a bit subdued and said he was very tired. He found the maths hard but at least he got an answer down for everything. Now we play the waiting game and try to take our minds off it in the meantime... :roll:

Any success stories from previous years where pupils found the test hard but still did well?? :?
Stressed?Moi?

Re: How did everyone get on today?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

geocachers wrote:DS sat the test at Marling. We were both soooo nervous this morning! Relieved it is now over!

He came out a bit subdued and said he was very tired. He found the maths hard but at least he got an answer down for everything. Now we play the waiting game and try to take our minds off it in the meantime... :roll:

Any success stories from previous years where pupils found the test hard but still did well?? :?

Yes. My DS came out saying he had only answered a few questions and wasn't at all confident with those and, that a boy had broken down in tears which had disturbed him. He said it was awful. I read on the forum all of the stories of other peoples' ds who found it quite easy. I then spent months assuming he hadn't passed. He's in year 8 at Tommies now!

Stay strong. There is such a build-up that their feelings and thought processes are all over the place after the exam and they can go into overload. The fact that your ds put an answer for everything is a very good sign.
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Dd got on fine, she didn't have any problems with the test, so I guess it's probably on a par with CGP CEM material we have been using. Glad it's over for her, now time to wait.
SIT

Post by SIT »

Eromdap wrote:Dd got on fine, she didn't have any problems with the test, so I guess it's probably on a par with CGP CEM material we have been using. Glad it's over for her, now time to wait.
Which type of CGP CEM books do you think were closest to your exam?
Zebrafrenzy74

Post by Zebrafrenzy74 »

My DS was smiling when he came out, so I suppose that is a good sign. He did struggle a little only because a child behind him was huffing and puffing a lot. He is very tired, but we've had some nice treats this afternoon just to wind down.
This is going to be the longest month ever! :o
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Eromdap wrote:Dd got on fine, she didn't have any problems with the test, so I guess it's probably on a par with CGP CEM material we have been using. Glad it's over for her, now time to wait.
To be fair, you cannot summise anything yet! Just because she said she got on fine doesn't mean that she definitely has! All you can deduce is that she was not aware of any difficulties.
Dalmation

Post by Dalmation »

Hi all DD took the test today at Ribston, she managed to answer all questions. Some were guesses & a few she isn't completely confident about. Overall she is happy with how it went! So just wait & see. In her opinion paper two was the harder xx
Congrats to Ribston for the organisation & making the girls feel as happy as they could under the circumstances xx
Eromdap

Post by Eromdap »

Kenyancowgirl: I hope that I wasn't implying that she did extremely well as that is impossible to know at this stage. All I meant was that didn't, at worst, have a complete meltdown (which is prone to), or come out feeling completely deflated and doubting every ability that she currently has. I believe that she is a borderline pass/fail and what will be will be. I have no inclination to push her (we home tutored) or declare her abilities to be above and beyond what I think they may be. We are entering this process with open minds, possibly opening some doors to her as we go. I'm unsure if grammar is the correct environment for her anyway. Fingers crossed the doors are opened and we get to choose ourselves, rather than have our choices limited.

Apologies for the rant.
akguptay2k

Post by akguptay2k »

Good to know kids feedback
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Wow, dc's seem to have finished the papers - impressive. Back when ds took his (2 years ago) we were told not to worry as it was designed for them not to finish in time and hardly anyone ever did, which I thought was pointless. The advice was just to keep an eye on the clock and put "anything" down if they were running out of time, just so as to not leave any question unanswered. His was the first year, so maybe they've refined it now and there are a more sensible number of questions?

It was probably the longest month of my life I have to say. As ds wasn't immediately placed, the months until the school allocations were looooong as well. I must have been so lovely to have been placed and could relax.

Don't envy you guys.