Parents that are lying about their address

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sadie2016

Parents that are lying about their address

Post by sadie2016 »

Hi guys
Just a quick question, more of a concern. My daughter recently gave her 11 plus and we don't live in the catchement area, however I have friends who live near me and whose children managed to secure places in grammar schools. The question I have is, what about those who lie. It was upsetting to hear a parent talking to another one on the day of the test, that she had given a good friends address. Made my blood boil, I know the councils may ask for council tax statements etc, but is that for all parents. We have been very honest with our application and stated our correct address, it annoys me that people are doing such things. Are all applications checked ?
Northdad

Re: Parents that are lying about their address

Post by Northdad »

It's not unheard of that parents buy a buy to let property near the school and use that address. I think it's utterly dishonest but I know it does happen. What can be done to prevent it?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you actually know people who are doing this then you should phone the council and report it, and report it to your school too (if they are in the same school as you.) The Councils take a dim view of anyone trying to cheat the system and in all the literature it is very clear that should a place be fradulently applied for, it can be withdrawn. Every place taken by a child whose parents have lied and cheated to get it a) are learning that liers and cheaters win and b) are taking the place of someone who is playing by the rules.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Apparently in Warwickshire dp can put a deposit on a house to rent when they have to show proof of their address, then they can cancel the deposit and not move.

I don't know if that is true, but I do know someone who appeared to do just that. Surely you can't show proof you have lived somewhere if you haven't?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Even if you don't know the name of the person it is worth reporting it. It might mean that the council or school tightens up its checking. I know my dh's school tries very hard to find any address cheats.
I have a good friend who lost her friends because she refused to allow them to use her address when applying for a school for their child. I suspect this sort of thing is a lot more common than people think. I know a number of people whom I suspect used grandparents' addresses etc for good local schools...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Councils and schools do all they can to thwart these cheats. Our school introduced a new rule this year that if you still own your previous house that will be considered your address, not your new property. Our former Head would also personally knock on the door in the evening just to make sure that the family were actually living there. I would urge anyone who knows anything to report it to the school or council. Dd 1 had 3 students in her class when she started Y7 who had returned to their previous houses which were not even in the same county, let alone the same town by Christmas.

The other students all know who these students are so they may have fooled the school and council but there is no hiding place from the other students. DG
guest201

Post by guest201 »

ginx wrote:Apparently in Warwickshire dp can put a deposit on a house to rent when they have to show proof of their address, then they can cancel the deposit and not move.

I don't know if that is true, but I do know someone who appeared to do just that. Surely you can't show proof you have lived somewhere if you haven't?
Last year in Warwickshire if you had put a grammar school on your CAF you had to produce two specific documents to prove your address. Cant remember what they were off the top of my head, but they would have been difficult to get hold of if you didn't live at the address you claimed to live at, Warwickshire are getting very strict on address cheats.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Daogroupie wrote:Councils and schools do all they can to thwart these cheats. Our school introduced a new rule this year that if you still own your previous house that will be considered your address, not your new property. Our former Head would also personally knock on the door in the evening just to make sure that the family were actually living there. I would urge anyone who knows anything to report it to the school or council. Dd 1 had 3 students in her class when she started Y7 who had returned to their previous houses which were not even in the same county, let alone the same town by Christmas.

The other students all know who these students are so they may have fooled the school and council but there is no hiding place from the other students. DG
That seems like a good rule. My eldest has a a few in his year whose parents did just that. They were wealthy enough to own two places and commute until they got the school place. He was recently talking to another friend who as OOC had needed a high score, let's call him Boy A. Boy B, whose parents had moved, said that he hadn't done that well on the exam. So, Boy A asked how on earth he had got a place as he is OOC. My son, who is a friend of both, realised and quickly changed the subject.

Boy B was embarrassed, but it's not his fault whatever his parents did. It all comes out in the end, doesn't it? But it's the children who get the embarrassment.

Salsa
Amber

Post by Amber »

guest201 wrote:
ginx wrote:Apparently in Warwickshire dp can put a deposit on a house to rent when they have to show proof of their address, then they can cancel the deposit and not move.

Last year in Warwickshire if you had put a grammar school on your CAF you had to produce two specific documents to prove your address. Cant remember what they were off the top of my head, but they would have been difficult to get hold of if you didn't live at the address you claimed to live at, Warwickshire are getting very strict on address cheats.
A close friend of mine broke off a friendship after a couple pretended to move house and just basically used a property as a postal address. They were very rich and thought it was rather a hoot - teaching the child to lie about where it lived. This was for a primary school in Warwickshire.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Amber,

A primary school in Warwickshire! You've got me wondering where.

Our village has separate infant and junior schools, on the same site. I know dp's are desperate to get their second/third child in to the junior school, as you have to apply again. Both infant and junior schools are "outstanding", and the nursery is oversubscribed.

The school may be "outstanding" on paper, I bet many schools are outstanding, but I'm amazed anybody moves for a primary school.
:roll:

Or is that because I'm lucky enough to live near good schools?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now