Whitgift Scholarship/Bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
grgygirl

Whitgift Scholarship/Bursary

Post by grgygirl »

I've just had a brief look on the Whitgift site and can see that their income levels for bursaries are quite high. Hypothetically, if we earned say 67k as a household, we could be considered for some fee remission but would be liable for 11k of fees per annum. If ds were to win a scholarship, is this then taken off the 11k or the full fees? I can't quite understand it, could anyone shed any light please?
Catseye

Re: Whitgift Scholarship/Bursary

Post by Catseye »

You will have wait for Ladymuck our resident expert on Whitgift.

Good school but fees are right up there with Eton :o (someone has to pay the fees for the ****** peacocks)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Not sure about Whitgift but generally if a scholarship is awarded then that is deducted from the fees, if you feel you need further support then a bursary is looked at
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It is rare it is done purely in income too, other assets are sometimes taken into account. I don't know about Whitgift specifically but another Independent we applied to advertised its bursary levels but we didn't qualify as we had too much equity and could in theory downsize but that would have been from a modest family home to a small flat (equity in London is Monopoly money really) and so we made the decision that for us and with excellent state options we would keep our home and our daughter is happily settled at her grammar. If we hadn't had good alternatives then the Indie may have been a more real consideration.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

I believe, though am not 100% certain, that it comes off full fees. Essentially you should get the financial benefit of the scholarship regardless of your means. The bursary is then calculated on full fees.

HOWEVER, I should warn you that Whitgift and Trinity have, over the last 2-3 years, been awarding more honorary scholarships. These scholarships do not carry a financial award unless the family circumstances change, when a reduction in bursary would cause them to kick in. And whilst not relevant at your current income, obviously the total fee reduction cannot exceed 100% of the fees ( a few schools allow 110% bursaries to cover extras, but Whitgift doesn't).
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

Thanks for the replies. I did visit Whitgift and really liked it but it would be a long journey for ds and therefore had discounted it (and we also can't afford it without some fee remission!). Ds plays a slightly unusual orchestral instrument to Grade 4 and we were heartened to hear you could apply for a music scholarship with Grade 3 and above in one instrument rather than 2 instruments at Grade 5 + as in most other nearby Indies (Dulwich and Alleyns). I have been daydreaming about academic scholarship + music scholarship + some bursary might = a financially manageable Whitgift place! I know in reality this is very unlikely to be the case so need to park the idea until the grammar school results come out.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now