Results Day - 4 weeks to go

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Nard

Results Day - 4 weeks to go

Post by Nard »

Just looking ahead to results day which is Friday 14 October and wondering whether it will be as previous years when they come out late. I have seen on the Birmingham grammar schools website that results should be with you by the 14th. Does this mean we could get them earlier? The waiting is the worst part at least once the scores are in you can plan ahead with what you need to do either if you have a high score or a score that you weren't expecting. I think it is a lot more harder this time round with DS2 as I am much more aware of the whole 11+ experience and what goes into it. With DS1 I didn't even find this forum until we got our results in which was October 2014. This forum has been a great deal of help to me this time round and I have also seen how much people are prepared to put in to make sure their DC gets the school they want. With DS1 all we did was a few months of practice papers online and that was it whereas this time round we have had a tutor and got all the CGP books that he has done at home as well as 2 mock tests. The reason for this was I didn't realise how much competition there was for places and no matter how bright your child is they need the extra help to give them any chance of getting a place.
imranb

Re: RESULTS DAY - 4 WEEKS TO GO

Post by imranb »

As a parent, I can already feel the heart pumping! Thankfully DS is chilled. :D
Not sure if the actual physical letter will reach us on 14th, or would we be informed electronically?
Penguin Mom

Post by Penguin Mom »

Hi Nard

The information pack we received states 'You should expect to receive your child's test results on Friday 14th October (no earlier)' - so no point stalking the postman on Thurs 13th :( !

We only get a physical letter - no email.
Nard

Post by Nard »

Penguin Mom wrote:Hi Nard

The information pack we received states 'You should expect to receive your child's test results on Friday 14th October (no earlier)' - so no point stalking the postman on Thurs 13th :( !

We only get a physical letter - no email.

I was thinking of stalking the postman from the 12th :lol: :lol:

I know we only get a letter but seeing that we have to apply to sit the test online I think they should start sending the results out by email considering everything is done online these days.
z-g

Post by z-g »

Well, ds2 is completely chilled, I think I'll be more nervous towards the 14th. With ds1, from what I remember, we got the results a day early.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

I am hoping we will be distracted until the 8th with the KES exam. Is anyone else taking it?

We are trying to prep for it as DS's writing is not up to much, but he is not having any of it! I think he is tired out, and so am I (I slept for 2 whole days after the exam last Saturday! :shock: ). I am going to try to get him to do something this weekend but am not sure he will comply :?

I think I will really start obsessing again after the 8th though. I doubt anyone will get results any earlier than the 14th.
UmSusu
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We're taking that too UmSusu, but our son's writing is also awful! Added to which, as he's home educated at the moment, he's barely done any writing since about May as my husband spent the last few months preparing for the 11 plus. For 3 years we've been nagging him not to put random capital letters in his work and it seems to have made absolutely no difference! I'm thinking we've probably wasted £25 but we had to put him through it as dd is at KEHS.

What is the general feeling about how last Saturday went?
Nard

Post by Nard »

crazycrofter wrote:We're taking that too UmSusu, but our son's writing is also awful! Added to which, as he's home educated at the moment, he's barely done any writing since about May as my husband spent the last few months preparing for the 11 plus. For 3 years we've been nagging him not to put random capital letters in his work and it seems to have made absolutely no difference! I'm thinking we've probably wasted £25 but we had to put him through it as dd is at KEHS.

DS2 was really nervous before going into the exam which although understandable is totally opposite to what he is normally like. He is very laid back and takes everything in his stride. When he came out of the exam he was confident about what he had done and relaxed about it all.
imranb

Post by imranb »

crazycrofter wrote:
From what I gathered, the paper last Saturday was straight-forward. DS thinks we had over-prepared. Don't quite understand the consequence of an easy test. I would have been personally happier if it was a bit more challenging, as I think that would have made stronger kids stand-out. Any thoughts please share.
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

imranb, I think that there is some merit to that idea as it means some of the most complex questions were not there. There was some discussion last year about how this meant that were very few standardised scores reported over 140 / 280.

I don't really see this as an issue myself, considering that there are so few who score those marks and that the majority of those who gain entry don't score anything like that. The exam is supposed to be based on the curriculum and accessible to all bright children - not just those who are privileged enough to access additional tuition. It appears to me that this is what has happened in the last two years - and I see this as the fairest way. Some of the content before was covering year 7 material, let alone beginning of year 6 and that really was ridiculous! How did bright children have a chance at that without tuition?

This way the exam is still pressured enough to draw out the brightest at the top but gives at least a fighting chance to those not tutored too. It is true that the brightest will not get a chance to show just how much they can do, but the other 6000 children sitting the exam are not there for that. The exam needs only to find those at the top end of the ability range that would suit grammars - and even then some who would suit grammars miss out. With the averages still remaining around 50%, they are still not that easy anyway for most children.
UmSusu
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now