Chelmsford County High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bev Bee

Chelmsford County High

Post by Bev Bee »

If there is anyone who wants to know about CCHS, my daughter is in year 8 and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have.
KM

Post by KM »

Thank you Bev Bee! My daughter is starting in September and I'm sure I'll come up with loads of questions before then, but to start with - what do they do in terms of induction days? Also I seem to remember that they have some sort of buddy system - will it be a Y8 girl they are paired up with? Thanks. KM.
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

They have an induction afternoon where the girls go in and meet their buddies (year 8), try and lesson and look around. They then do them an afternoon tea and the parents join them about 5pm to buy part of the uniform e.g. PE kit and take a look around. They also do netball and hockey training after school for a few weeks in may/june and my daughter really enjoyed these as she got to meet some of her classmates. They put them in forms according to surname so your daughter will be able to find girls that will be in her form by their surname.

My daughter has absolutely thrived there. She came from a very small mediocre primary school and I was worried she would struggle but the opposite is true. She has made great friends, enjoys the lessons (which are very interactive in terms of the girls doing the talking, debating presenting etc) and has been involved in various shows etc. The teachers are very nice and seem to have a very good relationship with the girls. They very much believe in the girls being independent and expressing themselves. I must admit, I was a bit surprised that she wasn't overloaded with homework in year 7 as the general opinion of people is that because it is a successful school they pressurise the girls with work. This is not true (although they do step up the homework in year 8). I am sure your daughter will be very happy there.
KM

Post by KM »

That all sounds good. We went to the open evenings when my daughter was in Y5 and Y6 and each time we noticed that the teachers seemed to have a very good rapport with the girls. I'm glad your daughter is thriving there!
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

We did the same. When we took my daughter in year 5 she really loved it. We took her again in year 6 to see if she viewed it differently but she still felt the same so it was her first choice. The teachers are great and most of them are young - maybe that helps the girls relate to them?
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

Hi Bev Bee

Thanks for offering to answer questions.

We recieved the pack from CCHS this morning and there is an inducation day on the twenty-fourth of June. They are offering hockey coaching starting on the twenty-second of April but don't sell the PE kit until the twentieth of May (for our surname). I was wondering, are the girls expected to show up in CCHS PE kit for the coaching or can they come in their own gear? Knowing my daughter, if she turns up in 'the wrong gear' she'll feel silly. I know it sounds like a minor thing, but I don't want her feeling ill-at-ease before she even starts. She is the only one going there from her school.

I was delighted with what you said about the teachers having a very good relationship with the girls. My daughter is so excited about going there. She can't wait to start.

Thanks.
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

The girls wear their own things to the coaching sessions.

My daughter was the only one from her school as well but fitted in straight away. I must admit I was expecting the teaching to be quite old school where they sat quietly, taking notes etc....nothing could be further from the truth! My daughter comes home nearly every day telling us about the fun lessons she has had. The teachers are also very good at joining in things at the school - they are happy to participate be it singing, getting soaked for charity, dressing up - it always sounds great fun and I must say I do feel envious as I went to a school that was the opposite. The other thing that is quite impressive is they let the girls put on shows/plays all on their own, without teachers - their recent dance show (Las Vegas theme) was organised, choreographed etc by years 10,11,12 & 13 and it was excellent.

Your daughter should also receive a letter from her "buddy" soon - that is a nice touch.
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Hi Bev Bee

Thanks for the offer - here are a few questions:-

Does everyone buy the full PE kit from the supplier? Can we obtain stuff like hockey shoes, sticks elsewhere? What uniform do we NEED to buy from school as standard?

My daughter won't want to feel out of place. Do most people wear the black school duffle coat or a plain black one of their own choosing?

What sort of style & colour school bags do the girls carry. Does the uniform policy state bags have to be a certain colour?

I'm sure I'll think of more questions once I've received my welcome pack.

Thanks.
Tea Lover

Post by Tea Lover »

I can relax about the coaching sessions now.

It sounds so good there - I'm sure she'll love it. She'll be deighted when she receives the 'buddy' letter. I won't tell her about it. I'll let it be a lovely surprise!

Many thanks.
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

Yes - you have to buy the PE kit from the supplier but you can get the hockey shoes and sticks elsewhere. I'm afraid you can only buy their uniform from the school shop in Rayleigh as it has their logo on the skirt and jacket and their blouses are the white and navy stripe which I haven't seen anywhere else. The girls wear their navy jumpers as well (which they do need when it is cold). The uniform is nice.

In terms of coats, none of the girls in my daughters class wear them (not even in year 7). I just bought her a black coat. Bags, if I remember rightly, are usually black or navy. The fashion at the moment are Jane Norman bags!! Just a plain bag will be fine (make sure it is a reasonable size as some of the text books are quite big).

I hope your daughter will be very happy there. The parent welcome evening at the end of September is also great. They do cheese and wine and you sit on tables with the other parents (and wear name badges) so you can get to know them. We found people coming up to us and introducing themselves and we did the same (as their daughters had mentioned ours and vice versa). The form teacher from your daughters class also sits with you.