West Sussex: Applying for Ind School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
LCBAN

West Sussex: Applying for Ind School

Post by LCBAN »

Hello. My son has 3 interviews/entrance tests lined up for independent day schools offering bursaries (Sept 17 entry) within a 20 mile radius of our home. General local state provision is ok. The "outstanding" schools in the vicinity are very selective based on church attendance and catchment area so my son has a low chance to access these. Not adverse to remaining state schools but would like to maximise chances for son. There are no grammar schools in the area and there does not appear to be a local support forum for West Sussex families applying for the 11+ entrance tests for independent schools. Would anyone be able to advise with local South West Sussex knowledge? We do not know of another family in our area in a similar position. Also, can anyone advise if the 11+ entrance tests for independent schools tend to be the same format (eg CEM) as those for grammar school tests? Any advice really appreciated. Thank you.
Last edited by LCBAN on Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amber

Re: South West Sussex: Applying for Ind School (100% bursary

Post by Amber »

It is probably best to contact the schools you're interested in to find out what kind of tests they use.

100% bursaries are vanishingly rare I believe and are very strictly means tested.
PettswoodFiona

Re: West Sussex: Applying for Ind School

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Are these very selective school you are applying for? DD sat one Indie and I have multiple friends who've sat for Indies too. Often the maths is beyond the state curriculum. I haven't seen any that do NVR either but sure there must be some out there. Also the format is less often multiple choice, you need to put the answer down or explain your understanding of a passage etc. Many schools put past papers up on their websites.

Many Indepedents don't also rely on the exam, they will take it together with a report from their current school and an interview.

Sorry I don't know your area to advise more precisely.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now