Number of students taking SET this year??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Maap

Number of students taking SET this year??

Post by Maap »

Hi - my DS sat the SET at Sutton yesterday. We knew there would be many children taking the exam but we were a bit shocked to see the queue to getting in had gone nearly all the way around the school! Does anyone have any idea as to the number of children taking the exams yesterday??
Goodheart

Re: Number of students taking SET this year??

Post by Goodheart »

My DD took it yesterday afternoon at Nonsuch. A must say I thought they did a good job of keeping the appearance of large numbers hidden, with different arrival zones and the like. My DD counted 256 desks in Sports Hall B (which was where children arriving at Zone B took the test). It really didn't seem that busy at all to me. We arrived in plenty of time (12:30 for a requested 13:00) and there were no cars queuing to get into the school, nor in the surrounding roads. We sat in the car for a good 15 minutes (to avail ourselves of the air con) before wandering over to wait at Zone B.

Hopefully other people will along to provide their numbers, which you can then add up. :-)
Maap

Post by Maap »

Goodheart - thank you for your reply.

My DS said he took the exam in a classroom where there were 12 children(including him). I assumed the number of children taking the SET this year must have been so high that they had to use class rooms to accommodate them all!??

I'm guessing there must have been close to 1000 children at Sutton yesterday (AM session).
Bee

Post by Bee »

My daughter sat the exam at Non Such yesterday and both her and my hubby was shocked how many kids there were. They reached at 12 noon as we had a long commute and said everything was very well organised :D
mumsdarling2

Post by mumsdarling2 »

When DS took the exam last year, which he did at Wallington, the queue was very long and carried on deep into the neighbouring street as well. I don't know how many sat but they must have been in many hundreds. So perhaps the 1000 mentioned in this thread is the norm.
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

The numbers sitting a couple of years ago was around the 4,400 mark (with around 1,800 going through to second rounds). It probably won't have increased by more than 10% over the 2 years (there are still a finite number of year 10 children within any reasonable distance, and even if some will travel ridiculous distances, the majority who sit are local to South London/Surrey).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Has anyone tried a polite phone call or email to the organisers of the exam?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

In theory, the numbers for previous years are listed in the "Transfer to Secondary School" booklets. However, the numbers reported by the different schools aren't always consistent.

For example, from the boolet aimed at children transferring in September 2016 (which provides details of children who transferred in September 2015 and hence took the SET in September 2014):
  • The entry for Nonsuch High School for Girls says, "Number of children who sat the Selective Eligibility Test for 2015: Over 5000(boys and girls)".
    The entry for Sutton Grammar School for Boys says, "Number of candidates at Common Eligibility Test for September 2015: 2303".
    The entry for Wallington High School for Girls says, "Number of children who sat the test for 2015: 2126 children sat the Joint SET test".
I tend to think that the Nonsuch number of "Over 5000(boys and girls)" is wrong and that the actual number was probably the sum of the numbers given by Sutton Grammar and Wallington Girls: i.e. 4429.

From the boolet aimed at children transferring in September 2017 (which provides details of children who transferred in September 2016 and hence took the SET in September 2015):
  • The entry for Nonsuch High School for Girls says, "Number of children who sat the Selective Eligibility Test for 2016: 4556 (boys and girls)".
    The entry for Sutton Grammar School for Boys says, "Number of candidates at Common Eligibility Test for September 2016: 2439".
    The entry for Wallington High School for Girls says, "Number of girls who sat the test for 2016: 2120 girls sat the Joint SET test".
Those numbers are almost (but not quite) consistent.

Best guess from the above: In September 2014, 4429 children took the SET and in September 2015, 4559 children too the SET. That's a 3% year-on-year increase, which would suggest about 4700 likely sat this year.
htm123

Post by htm123 »

@ Goodheart the numbers for previous years listed in the "Transfer to Secondary School" booklets probably include Tiffin's candidates and other Independent Schools?
You should take in consideration only Sutton Consortium Eligibility Tests...Tiffin's- not part of it.
Numbers of candidates sitting the tests are released AFTER the test because there will be some absentees every year.
htm123

Post by htm123 »

If I remember correctly some years ago SGS's minimum score after the Second round was 187.
i.e Common Eligibility 70+ English 60 + Maths 57= 187?
The year after, Wilson's minimum score was 401 but their calculations were different than those of SGS.

Tiffin's Boys minimum marks 231 in 2013 but at the time their exams were Verbal & Non-Verbal Reasoning which now has changed.
Wallington Grammar for boys doesn't have a Second stage anymore so every year is different.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now