SET results advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ardain

SET results advice

Post by Ardain »

My DD sat SET last week along with many other girls and I am now just starting to feel very anxious as each day passes.

My DD found English fairly difficult and said she had to do some guess work. We prepared well over the summer with many practice papers and level 6 SPAG but she found the exam to be very different with some material being very hard and unfamiliar:( we were also working with slightly longer times during practice but time in the exam was shorter with more questions giving added pressure.

Can anyone please advise what sort of score they would be expected to get as a minimum to pass SET for English to qualify as she found Maths much easier so that should not be an issue. The sad thing is she is very prepared for the second stage but may not even have the chance to sit it after seeing the number of people that appeared for the test.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated on the chances and how many people in the queue would have a realistic chance or from experience are the majority of those girls complete whizz kids.

We are also in both catchments for Wallington, but does this apply for SET marking and consideration or does it only kick in at second stage?

Thank you all in advance for your invaluable advice
ToadMum

Re: SET results advice

Post by ToadMum »

Whether you are in catchment or not would only matter once you actually apply for a place at one or more of the schools, surely, unless they standardise IC and OOC as separate cohorts?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
njawad

Post by njawad »

my son also find math easy and english fairly harder. even he done lots of practice in summer holidays but paper was v different style.
help-mum
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

Ardain wrote:Can anyone please advise what sort of score they would be expected to get as a minimum to pass SET for English to qualify as she found Maths much easier so that should not be an issue
Note that the FAQ for the SAT (see http://www.wallingtongirls.sutton.sch.u ... 2017-entry) says:
  • Does my child have to pass each paper in the Selective Eligibility Test?
    It is the total score that determines whether your child has passed the test: so for example, a very good performance in English can compensate for one that is a little weaker in Maths.
So there isn't a separate score for Maths and English - it's the total of the two which is important. So given what you've said, you might be OK.

As for what score is required to 'pass', it doesn't really work that way. They select a 'pass' mark (which changes each year) to ensure that they have enough students to fill their allocation (once they've filtered them down further at the second stage), but not too many (as they have to manually mark all those second stage tests). In the past couple of years they've 'passed' about the top 40% of girls in the SET. (The numbers obviously vary a little, so that's only ball-park).
EssexLady

Post by EssexLady »

I guess they must be including the SET score as well to reach the final result.
Does anybody know the ratio of both the exams (stage 1 ,stage2) and the format of stage 2 exam.

As far as i know Stage2 is standard format so for English:Comprehension & creative writing. Is this all or they also have bit of regular synonyms-antonyms, shuffled sentences etc.
Wondering what kind of Comprehension text, creative writing has appeared in the past few years.
Parents with experience of Sutton tests please throw some light on this.
Goodheart

Post by Goodheart »

EssexLady wrote:I guess they must be including the SET score as well to reach the final result.
Does anybody know the ratio of both the exams (stage 1 ,stage2) and the format of stage 2 exam.
From http://fluencycontent2-schoolwebsite.ne ... e-Test.pdf:
  • Does my daughter’s score in the Selective Eligibility Test count towards her score in the NWETSSEE?
    Yes. The final rank order of the entrance examinations will be determined on the basis of the aggregate scores of the Selective Eligibility Test and the two elements of the NWETSSEE in the ratio 1:1:1.
From http://www.nonsuchschool.org/298/nonsuc ... stage-faqs:
  • Does my daughter’s score in the Selective Eligibility Test count towards her score in the NWETSSEE?
    Yes. The final rank order of the entrance examinations will be determined on the basis of the aggregate scores of the Selective Eligibility Test and the two elements of the NWETSSEE in the ratio 1:1:1.
(The two girls schools used to use different ratios, but the above confirms that they are now the same.)
piggymom

Post by piggymom »

Goodheart wrote:
EssexLady wrote:I guess they must be including the SET score as well to reach the final result.
From http://fluencycontent2-schoolwebsite.ne ... e-Test.pdf:
From http://www.nonsuchschool.org/298/nonsuc ... stage-faqs:
(The two girls schools used to use different ratios, but the above confirms that they are now the same.)

Very useful info.. Donno why I couldn't spot it myself. Thank you!
Ardain

Post by Ardain »

Thank you for your advice and reassurance Toadmum and Goodheart............my DD has been fortunate to pass the SET so she must have done something right on the day :D

I suppose my question again is now that we are through to the second round will they now look to pass a certain number of girls IC and a certain number OOC or is it just open marking again for the top scorers?

I think I am a bit nervous as my DD is at a local state school and I know many children are heavily tutored for these exams, but for us as much as we would love her to attend the school due to the fantastic reputation it is also the closest girls school for us in terms of travel.

My other question to the experienced forum members is to check if the maths will go into as much depth in Algebra etc or will they focus on KS2 mostly.

Thank you in advance once again........... This forum is very valuable for new parents going through this.
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

I asked about the IC/OOC place allocation at the WHSG open evening in June/July. The lady I spoke to was fairly helpful, and said that once all the scores are ranked, they allocated the superselective places irrespective of whether students are IC or OOC. Then they allocated the IC and FSM places based on the highest remaining scores within each of those categories.

Hope that makes sense!
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

Lots of girls who "pass" the test won't get offered places, as more pass than there's space for (forgot to add that bit, sorry).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now