SET vs Tiffin tests

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mamawizz

SET vs Tiffin tests

Post by mamawizz »

I've just found out that my son failed to get through to Sutton second stage (scored 195 - main issue was with the English paper, where he ran out of time and had to guess 14 questions). He is registered to sit the Tiffin test too, but my impression is that this is harder than the Sutton test, so don't really see the point in putting him through it. Would people agree that the Tiffin test is generally considered to be more difficult?
kamenrider

Re: SET vs Tiffin tests

Post by kamenrider »

mamawizz wrote:I've just found out that my son failed to get through to Sutton second stage (scored 195 - main issue was with the English paper, where he ran out of time and had to guess 14 questions). He is registered to sit the Tiffin test too, but my impression is that this is harder than the Sutton test, so don't really see the point in putting him through it. Would people agree that the Tiffin test is generally considered to be more difficult?
Did you get your score? DD passed through to second round but the email never had her score.
bambina

Post by bambina »

You are only told your score if you do not get through to the second stage. :(
bambina

Post by bambina »

mamawizz wrote: He is registered to sit the Tiffin test too, but my impression is that this is harder than the Sutton test, so don't really see the point in putting him through it. Would people agree that the Tiffin test is generally considered to be more difficult?
I have a friend's son who is in exactly the same position. I also would like to hear what others recommend.

TIA
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

Frustratingly we got through for some but not others, so don't get to find out score.
My DS said he found Maths tough but English 'easy'!

We are in same position - sitting Tiffin and Graveney. But now going into it with eyes open and not expecting too much!

Like you we are really disappointed as he did well in all mocks.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

The only sure way for your DC not to do well enough to be considered for the other schools is for them not to sit the exams. Whether they are generally regarded as 'harder' or 'easier', they are a different exam on a different day and in the case of the lad who ran out of time - well, now he knows pretty well that he needs to get his A a bit more into G, doesn't he (if you will pardon the phrase :lol: )?

If you are thinking about them not sitting the other exams, then presumably you do have non-selective options that you would be happy with? If that is the case, but your your DC are still interested in the selective places, I would say, let them have a go, on the basis that they might get a nice surprise in the form of an extra viable option or two, but at least they won't be in a worse position if their score isn't quite good enough.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

Weirdly most of the boys we know said they found the English easier, and actually ran out of time on the Maths...

Good advice there by the way Toadmum
kamenrider

Post by kamenrider »

Much like the national lottery, if you buy you may not win but if you don't buy then you definitely won't win.

I would sit. Harder or easier is relative and the sample set across these forums is way too small.
mamawizz

Post by mamawizz »

Thanks all - that all makes sense. The nothing ventured, nothing gained argument is compelling. I guess the flipside for me is that it means shelling out for another month of tuition (at £60 a week) and continued stress for my son, who is already having a hard time as I've just moved him to another school for Y6. This move means that he is hopefully guaranteed a place at our local Catholic secondary school, which gets excellent results and which I think he would be more suited to than Tiffin or Sutton in terms of his personality. Thanks for the advice, and good luck for all of your kids!
Ladymuck

Post by Ladymuck »

" which I think he would be more suited to than Tiffin or Sutton in terms of his personality"
So you're looking for Tiffin as your second choice behind the Catholic school presumably? As it would be odd to put him in a school which is less suited to? If he is now in the feeder school how likely is he to get into the Catholic school?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now