Sleep and the teenage brain

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Bumblebeez

Sleep and the teenage brain

Post by Bumblebeez »

This research suggests that later school starts allow teenagers to get enough sleep, which reduces levels of depression, substance abuse and even car accidents, and raises school performance. It seems unlikely that schools will change their start times, but it is something for parents to consider before committing lively Year 6s to school choices that will have them making long commutes to school for their teenage years. If it involves getting them up before 7am it looks like it just isn't worth it: https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2016/09/ ... ign=buffer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsa

Re: Sleep and the teenage brain

Post by salsa »

Thank you for that. Mine have always been early birds so I have the whole of the upper floor with black out blinds. I did this when we couldn't cope with them getting up at 4:30 am during the summer! I know know that darkness encourages melatonin production and we still read to them which also makes you sleepy. I have also watched their diets to make sure they don't eat things that will keep them awake. The same goes to screens or exercise too close to sleep time. They sleep 10 hours.

Salsa
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

I have an exception to the pattern too, Salsa: she flipped from being a night owl to being a perky lark overnight in during the Christmas holidays of Year 7. I would still try to avoid a long commute to maximise sleep time.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I agree, however, I think it is time that schools acknowledge that most teenagers need to get up late and change the start time accordingly. I know it would not be practical for many.

Salsa
PerpetualStudent

Post by PerpetualStudent »

I have seen some signs that schools are beginning to take note of this research so I am optimistic about later starts becoming more common. For example UCL Academy in London has deliberately later starts for their 6th formers for this reason. I'm sure I've read of others. As a night owl (still) I would have been thrilled to have a late start. :D
salsa

Post by salsa »

That sounds great. How late do they start?
PerpetualStudent

According to the UCL Academy website the 6th form day is offset by an hour with the first session at 9.25 am. According to the website for (independent) Hampton Court House their 6th form day doesn't start until 1.35pm but carries on to 7pm.
Bumblebeez

Post by Bumblebeez »

According to the UCL Academy website the 6th form day is offset by an hour with the first session at 9.25 am. According to the website for (independent) Hampton Court House their 6th form day doesn't start until 1.35pm but carries on to 7pm.
That's really interesting. Not sure what the staff feel about teaching until 7, but maybe that downside is balanced by having chirpier students.

https://www.theguardian.com/education/m ... -in-pupils" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is from years ago - I wonder if they kept it going?
PerpetualStudent

It seems I lost a previous response because I took too long so I'll be brief this time.
It seems Hugh Christie in Tonbridge no longer have a late start. Their 2009 Ofsted report mentions improved results but no better attendance.
Monkseaton High School reverted to an 8.55 start after HT Paul Kelley left.
Telegraph 9 Oct 2014 had a story about GCSE students taking part in an Oxford study on late starts (10am). It was to involve 100 schools and 30,000 students but has since been redesigned. There were problems with random selection of participating schools apparently so they are now focussing on sleep education. See Teensleep project on the http://www.ndcn.ox.ac.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; website.

Edited once for spelling
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

It's a shame in general when evidence-based work is either not done, or the findings disregarded, especially in education.

In my opinion, education is very overdue for a radical rethink, especially in terms of personalisation- let more of it be done online, and not in lockstep with chronological age, and at a day/night rhythm to suit the individual. Technology should be used more consistently.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now