a good outcome from 11plus!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueKnows

a good outcome from 11plus!

Post by BlueKnows »

First Post , and hello to all
Thank you to all that have been posting on this forum I have recently found ( been lurking for a couple of weeks, but hey)and it is a wealth of information some of which I wish I had known earlier
We diy-ed for DS and are hoping for AGS but regardless of the outcome the most pleasing knock on effect from the whole process has been both ds1 and in turn ds2's(a few years younger) attitudes to their homework/homelearning.
Since returning to school in September both are eager to complete schoolwork without so much as a moan...long may this continue!!
Have others on here found that to be the case?
ToadMum

Re: a good outcome from 11plus!

Post by ToadMum »

BlueKnows wrote:First Post , and hello to all
Thank you to all that have been posting on this forum I have recently found ( been lurking for a couple of weeks, but hey)and it is a wealth of information some of which I wish I had known earlier
We diy-ed for DS and are hoping for AGS but regardless of the outcome the most pleasing knock on effect from the whole process has been both ds1 and in turn ds2's(a few years younger) attitudes to their homework/homelearning.
Since returning to school in September both are eager to complete schoolwork without so much as a moan...long may this continue!!
Have others on here found that to be the case?
Given that someone once posted that they would not be allowing their DC to do any homework set by the school until they had completed all the selection tests the parent had put them in for (one step down, I suppose, from those who wouldn't even send their DC in to school at all until all their selection tests were over), I'm tempted to comment, golly, you really haven't got the hang of this game yet, have you? :lol:

Actually, it's really nice to hear someone report that their DC are actually linking 'the 11+ syllabus' (no such thing, really, if you think about it), or at least their 'home-work' - as opposed to homework, with their general learning :).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ginx

Post by ginx »

Ds couldn't do any of the comprehension and guessed vr in this year's 11+. He has recognised, too late, this is mainly because he doesn't read. He said that himself when he came out of the 11+.

So whilst he is not exactly keen to do his reading homework, he isn't moaning quite so much and is trying.

Which is one good thing, and I never expected a change in attitude towards reading.
neuralc

Post by neuralc »

Exactly this. 11+ is the goal, but diy tutoring is really about engaging with your kid's learning- the 11+ books help structure this in the the same way homework does, but in my experience homework is not tailored to your own kids needs the way 11+ tutoring can be ( if you do it right)
punkeson

Post by punkeson »

Hi Blueknows, great post and I found the same thing with my dd. She sat the Kent Test earlier this month and I had diy tutored her since June. I would definitely say she has a more responsible attitude to her homework now and is keen to sit down and tackle it and get it done! She has seen that if you put the effort in and tackle areas that you struggle with, you can turn it around and things suddenly become a lot easier.
Wether she passes or not, I feel really proud of her as I know how hard she worked preparing for the test. If she doesn't pass then it simply wasn't to be. The preparation has definitely instilled a work ethic in her that will ensure she succeeds whichever school she goes to!
parentoftwo

Post by parentoftwo »

Couldn't agree more. I do not belong to this 11 plus region geographically but couldn't help reading this post. It certainly has been a learning experience for DS and myself alike. It seems like a domino effect of miracles ..DS yesterday requested me to wake him up at 6 today so that he could finish his home learning. :shock: :shock: He couldn't finish yesterday as we spent the time on preparing for the Sutton second round. Although I didn't wake him at 6am as didn't want to rob him of the much required good night's sleep...he spent some time getting the thinking process started. They have to write a creative piece for home work. :D :D

As they say, even when you lose, you gain the experience !!!
sky111

Post by sky111 »

My DS finds school homework boring. Misses studying for 11+ :roll: Honest he's not sick
Manon

Post by Manon »

Sky111 we're having the same problem. School homework since the beginning of term is going over stuff they covered AGES ago - some of it as long ago as Y3 and Y4 :-( So I don't blame DS at all for not being engaged but I'm glad to hear he's not the only weird one who is missing 11+!!
BlueKnows

Post by BlueKnows »

Some great responses...never thought perhaps he is missing 11+- after all it had kinda become a little bit of a routine!!
Ds has currently started to work ahead in his maths homework(i.e doing next week and the week after pages...he has NEVER done this before :shock:
ShakespeareRocks

Post by ShakespeareRocks »

I have to agree that 11+ work is all part of the learning journey, and irrespective to whether or not their child actually takes the 11+ exam or indeed gets a place at a school as a result of the 11+ exam, it is not 'wasted time'. I said to my daughter when she was doing 11+ work that it was money and time well spent, irrespective of the outcome. It's not like enrolling on a Karate course, paying the term's fees, buying the suit then deciding it's not for you! 11+ work supports the next step in the child's individual education, be it SATs or Secondary School, and helps give them confidence to face the next step in their education journey.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now