SchoolChoices

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

BlueBerry

SchoolChoices

Post by BlueBerry »

Hello, as some of you already know we are moving to South Bucks early next year. The areas that we are hoping to live in are around the Gerrard's Cross & Beaconsfield (but its very expensive) which may means that we have to go further west into High Wycombe, Flackwell Heath etc.

The schools that I'm targeting are:
RGS
John Hampden
and possibly DCGS

I am visiting RGS & JH next month. I think that I missed out on the open days for DCGS so I have to rely on online information. I've been reading through the forum and came across some old threads which revealed some interesting points about all of these schools. I do not know any local parents that I can talk to about this and hence my posting my query here.

Which school would you choose if you have a sensitive and quiet boy who is passionate about football? My son currently plays for his school & also plays for the local football club weekly. He has never played rugby and as far as I know has no plans to do so in the future. He needs a nurturing & positive environment as being pushed too hard (as I believe they do at RGS) may be have the opposite effect.

I could probably post this question AFTER my 2 visits but its been on mind for the past few days and so here I am now.

And please be kind in your response, some of the posters have been quite ruthless in the past!
Guest55

Re: SchoolChoices

Post by Guest55 »

John Hampden - football offered and good pastoral care.

Be aware of where you opt to live and the catchment Upper ....
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

Based on the description of your DS I would suggest JHGS as the better choice (but I only have knowledge of RGS and JHGS) because RGS don't offer football as a sport. I think both schools push hard, but I suspect (from talking with other RGS parents) that RGS does push that little bit harder, and I think my "sensitive and quiet" boy is better suited to JHGS, even though he preferred RGS.

If you can't get to see DCGS then there may be videos on youtube that give an insight into the school. I know I had to rely on that when we put the wrong school down on our CAF :oops:

Sorry, crossed with Guest55.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm sure you could go to DCGS on a school day, or maybe they have organised tours? In my opinion it is much better to go during a normal school day anyway. Just call the school office & ask.
Mind you, you will probably be too far away from DCGS (and the others?) for first round allocation.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

DCGS does not offer visits at all, only open days/evenings. It is the only GS in Bucks that operates that policy.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for your replies. It's comforting to know that he may be suited to a grammar school as I was getting worried that it might be too pushy for him.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

RGS don't play football. Other then that school choices are very personal things - what one person loves another may hate. Whichever school he attends he will have to play some Rugby in games lessons.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Oh dear, my son tells me that he hates Rugby with a passion!
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Mine doesn't like it much - he does a term of it each year without too much bother (not the same school). I would be surprised if there were many schools that don't do any rugby.
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

He is aware that he had to do rugby in PE. But he wants to play football too.

Does anyone know of any local clubs in the area that he can join?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now