Music second round

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Ktcroucher0607

Music second round

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions about the Music test. Firstly do we get the result of the second round (auditions) at the same time as the academic test ? Also the results from previous years is that score from the first music test or the second round ? (Just so I have a comparison !)

Many thanks !
Ktcroucher0607

Music second round

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions about the Music test. Firstly do we get the result of the second round (auditions) at the same time as the academic test ? Also the results from previous years is that score from the first music test or the second round ? (Just so I have a comparison !)

Many thanks !
Daogroupie

Re: Music second round

Post by Daogroupie »

You will get the result of the music test the same time as the academic test.

You have already had the score from the aural test so they are not going to send that to you again. It will be your score from the audition. DG
Dotty2468

Post by Dotty2468 »

The results from last year are the audition scores. Assuming it hasn't changed, last year they scored out of 45 (3 sections of 15 each something like performance, pitch, ability) you'll get a total score (for instance...38) which will indicate the school's you're likely to gain a place at based on historical scores.

Good luck!
Ktcroucher0607

Post by Ktcroucher0607 »

Thanks .... I was surprised about the auditions as I thought it was simply an audition based on their chosen ability but when I got there and was told that they mark them also on their communication and that they aske them questions also I felt a little unprepared , but it's over and done with so fingers crossed !!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

They are certainly not marking them on their communication, that would not be allowed under the Admissions Code. But they should be able to answer a question about their chosen piece.

Who told you they were marked on their communication? DG
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

The audition is marked out of 45. 15 marks are for accuracy, 15 for musicality and 15 for communication/presentation. The criteria for marks under the communication are:
13-15 Totally convincing
10-12 A good attempt to communicate
7-10 A reasonable level of communication is achieved
4-6 Some attempt to communicate
1-3 Little communication evident.

I thought that these applied to the communication of musical performance! it hadn't occurred to me that it could be applied to the questions, but I suppose that could be the case, thinking about it now, I'm not sure how they distinguish between these criteria and those for musicality when listening to the performance.

I'm not sure if anyone has ever been given the breakdown of marks for their child.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It is the communication of the musical performance. Otherwise they could just be trained what to say by their parents. This is why state schools were banned from interviews so they could not train their students what to say.

It is how they make the performance "speak" through the music. DG
1Watford

Post by 1Watford »

Yes, that is how I previously understood it. They did, however, ask my younger DD a lot of questions at her audition earlier in the week.
How long she had been playing. Who her teacher was. How many concerts she had done and where they were. Did she enjoy concerts. Did she play other instruments. What standard was she at in all her instruments. Had she taken exams or theory exams. How often she practises and for how long.

It did seem extensive - and certainly more than I remember from her sister's audition a few years ago. I wonder why they ask so many when it is not supposed to contribute towards the score.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Some thing new every year. Can't rely entirely on what happened few years ago. The communication questions as mentioned look a bit intrusive and not allowed under admissions code.