Calderdale test - what next.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

don1976

Calderdale test - what next.

Post by don1976 »

Hi,

My Daughter sat the test at NHGS on Saturday. We’ve never known anyone go through the Grammar school system before (except our own parents in the 1950s), so what’s the general process?
I appreciate the actual school offers are made in March, but how high do you need to be in the order of merit to be pretty sure of getting in ?
hermanmunster

Re: Calderdale test - what next.

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Don

there is an allocation thread from last year with some of the rankings quoted in it. http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 24&t=46079" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
don1976

Post by don1976 »

Thanks Herman.

So looking to last year, if kids were scored 393 or higher, they were definitely guaranteed a place ?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it is not so much score but ranking
Once the tests have been marked, parents will be informed in writing by the schools of the overall test score achieved by their child, their position in the order of merit and whether they have reached the required standard to be considered for admission. In order to reach the required standard, candidates must be in the top 500 places in the order of merit. Reaching the standard does not guarantee the offer of a place
the allocation rank on March 1st for NGHS was 393., so anyone who was ranked higher than 393 would have been offered a place if it the school was on the CAF and the first school on the CAF they were eligible for
don1976

Post by don1976 »

Yes - sorry, got my terminology wrong, I meant ranking.

Is that what we will essentially get through the post in 2 weeks time ? A ranking and confirmation on whether they achieved the required standard ?

Then I assume if the ranking of the child's test result is high enough, it's just academic to get the official offer through in march.

My daughter has historically been at the top of the classes in primary, and her best friend has always been somewhere in the middle. Her best friend has a brother already at NHGS.
If the 2 kids achieved a test result in keeping with their respective abilities, and my daughter got a higher ranking, would the 'sibling factor' give her friend priority over my daughter, or do siblings only get considered if 2 kids have equal scores ?
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Sibling and distance are only used as a tie break if they are unable to offer everyone on the final score with a place.

"Where two or more children achieve the same score as the child in the last place to be offered at NHGS the following oversubscription criteria will apply as a tie breaker:"

You do need to include one or both schools on your CAF (your highest preference at the top of the list).
don1976

Post by don1976 »

Thanks.

Ideally they'll both get into the school together, but was wondering how the sibling thing worked out - now cleared up, thanks.

Both schools are on our CAF with NHGS top.

Are there any unofficial stats out there for the proportion of students that get accepted with formal 3rd party tutoring, and with just home tutoring?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Very hard to know about tutoring - if people are asked they won't necessarily give the true answer.

Also tends to be more of a continuum - kids may have variable numbers of sessions with paid tutors, while kids who are home tutored could be doing any number of hours / tests in preparation.

Just keep fingers crossed that the result is a high enough rank to feel comfortable, the real anxiety comes when for people who can't be certain and are having to wait for the cutoffs on March 1st