Number of questions for maths?!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Curveball

Number of questions for maths?!

Post by Curveball »

Hi there, I'm new to the forum. Not yet figured out all the lingo. My daughter came out of the Kent test disappointed because she didn't finish the maths paper. She said she thought there were x maths questions. Can that be right? I thought it was y in 2014 and z last year, so I'm wondering if she's got muddled. She said she managed one a minute (then guessed the rest in the last ten seconds).

Number of questions has been removed by the moderator, please do not reveal test content, including number of questions and timings. - Moderator

If she's right I'm now a bit worried about her passing that section. How did yours find this section? Thanks.
bunglechips

Re: Number of questions for maths?!

Post by bunglechips »

But the title says sorry, title now edited too - moderatorquestions for maths... !! :lol:

I'm not sure that self-reported number of questions is necessarily a help though - the OP's dd and mine will have sat the same test, but they evidently have very different ideas as to number of questions asked. :roll:
ginx

Post by ginx »

Ds had a lot of maths questions too (don't dare mention any numbers :lol: ) and said lots of his friends did not finish the maths section.

I wouldn't worry. Sorry, I would try not to worry.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It is confusing due to the redactions what has happened but if it is any consolation last year DD didn't even get to attempt or guess the last 7 maths questions. She did however get the others all right and got a very very creditable score. Of the total last year, depending on the birthdate, you could get less than 50% right and still pass. Panic not.
Curveball

Post by Curveball »

Yikes, sorry, newbie error. I hadn't realised that the test gets used after the OOC children sit for it.

Bit confused about not mentioning number of questions for previous years, though, as I got them from a thread on here! No worries, though - happy to learn the rules :)

Thanks for the reassurance folks - that helps. I'm beginning to think she got a bit muddled with number of questions!

She's the youngest in the year, so that'll help her scrape in with the maths. Can post her scores once results are out for those who number crunch, if helpful. It's going to be a long 12 days.
ginx

Post by ginx »

Does that mean the earlier the child is born in the school year, the less chance they have?

DS is February. :( We should have thought about that :lol:

Only tiny chance but just want to know. Twelve days feels like twelve years. And then March!
salsa

Post by salsa »

ginx wrote:Does that mean the earlier the child is born in the school year, the less chance they have?

DS is February. :( We should have thought about that :lol:

Only tiny chance but just want to know. Twelve days feels like twelve years. And then March!
If you look at the raw scores for Kent, historically, the difference between a September and an August born is about 3 questions. So, not that much really.
Curveball

Post by Curveball »

The difference isn't lots but I'll take it! Last year, five fewer points to pass (two for maths, one for English and two for reasoning). So just over 5% less needed to pass. With so many missing a pass by only a few points, it helps to have the bar lowered slightly.
salsa

Post by salsa »

However, a child can have about 1000 words more of vocabulary in one year.
Curveball

Post by Curveball »

Phew, scraped Maths with 112. The othes were higher, as predicted.

What a relief!