Kent test pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
denis denis

Kent test pass mark

Post by denis denis »

It seems to be one of those things that's shrouded in secrecy (at least I've never understood the whole system :lol: ) but just thought I'd ask if anyone knew the pass marks for this year?
jacko

Post by jacko »

Kent pass marks are 2 papers at 120 plus 3rd paper at 115, or higher.

This doesn't help when you are waiting for 'super' selectives such as Judd, TOGS, etc as their entrance mark varies each year. Watch this space to get an idea of what marks have been needed for each this year.

Hope this helps.
denis denis

Post by denis denis »

jacko wrote:Kent pass marks are 2 papers at 120 plus 3rd paper at 115, or higher.

This doesn't help when you are waiting for 'super' selectives such as Judd, TOGS, etc as their entrance mark varies each year. Watch this space to get an idea of what marks have been needed for each this year.

Hope this helps.
Thanks jacko. I'm still confused though. You say two papers at 120 and then the third at 115 - but seem to also be saying that we don't know yet what scores were needed this year? I know the pass mark can vary from year to year according to the cohort?
limesgreen

Post by limesgreen »

I do know that the perfect score is 140 and 120 was the pass mark.

Surprisingly the letter did not say the scores, unlike the Medway letter.
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

denis denis wrote:
jacko wrote:Kent pass marks are 2 papers at 120 plus 3rd paper at 115, or higher.

Hope this helps.
Thanks jacko. I'm still confused though. You say two papers at 120 and then the third at 115 - but seem to also be saying that we don't know yet what scores were needed this year? I know the pass mark can vary from year to year according to the cohort?
The standardised scores required are, for most schools, the same each year. What changes each year is the raw score, or actual test percentages, required to achieve a particular standardised score.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Sorry if I've confused the issue even more. As I understand the system, no-one will ever say what raw score is or has been required each year to achieve the standardised scores needed for a pass, of 120,120 and 115. These standardised scores do not change each year but the raw score that is needed to achieve the standardised score changes every year depending on how hard the test was, how clever that year group is, how old that year group is, etc, etc.

I think you can find out your child's raw score if you contact the LEA, but the scores that we are all given by the HTs are the standardised ones where 100% = 140.

Is that any clearer?!!?
dadofkent

Post by dadofkent »

jacko wrote:Sorry if I've confused the issue even more. As I understand the system, no-one will ever say what raw score is or has been required each year to achieve the standardised scores needed for a pass, of 120,120 and 115. These standardised scores do not change each year but the raw score that is needed to achieve the standardised score changes every year depending on how hard the test was, how clever that year group is, how old that year group is, etc, etc.

I think you can find out your child's raw score if you contact the LEA, but the scores that we are all given by the HTs are the standardised ones where 100% = 140.

Is that any clearer?!!?
140 is the max standardised score, but does not equate to 100% raw score. Anecdotal evidence (elsewhere on forum) suggests that 140 can equate to a raw score of about 75%.
bows

75%

Post by bows »

Ive heard this too and I think it is incorrect, my lad never scored less than 85% in practice on VR and usually high 90's and described that part of the 11+ as "easy" He scored 137 which according to the 75% rule would suggest he got around 73% As opposed to the NVR which he said was "hard, not enough time to do them logically, etc On practice he averaged around 85% but only just scraped through with 120 which would suggest a raw score of 67% or so which i just dont believe, it would mean he got 1 wrong every 3 questions and I just dont think that is likely. (dont get me wrong, i dont have an inflated opinion of his abilities)

I am sure as others have pointed out that it depends entirely on thier peers performance and that theoretically at least, a high scorer one year could be a low scorer the next with the same mark.
For example suppose all the kids scored 95% + where does that leave the 75% rule ?
Have to say it is confusing and would be a lot fairer if there was a set pass mark say 80% and places for all those who achieved it.

The point I am trying to make is that if 75% equated to 140 then my son would have got 420 , no question and it leads me to believe that the actual "raw" score needed to achieve 140 is over 90%in an average year.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

he marks 120 etc refer top a standardised score. The norm would be 100.

Statistical error gives scores within 2 standard deviations as being " average" So any standardised score between 85 and 115 is considered statistically to be teh " norm for that particular sample. Scores above 115 are therefore "above the norm"

Imagine a hill sloping up to a peak (the norm) and then slowly sloping down again...

The succesful scores would be in the right hand "tail"

The Kent test is looking for 1 at least "high average"and 2 "above average" scores.

The raw scores are turned into standardised scores by looking at the whole range of results (weighted for age as well) so that each year the top scoring children pass.

:roll:

My brain hurts now!![/img]
henry

Post by henry »

Dont know whether this helps, but my daughter scored 140 in both the NVR & VR. In practice she would normally score between 85 and 93%.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now