6th form dilemma

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
vasu

6th form dilemma

Post by vasu »

I really need your valuable inputs, I am at my wits end. My son, wants to do English, Biology and Psychology in his A Level. Unfortunately QE does not offer Psychology so we need to find another 6th form. He is really keen on St Michaels in Finchley. But then it is a girls school with very few intake of boys in the 6th form. I would really appreciate your views on this. Plus, can anyone suggest any great schools who have a strong department in these subjects. I know it is a tall order but I don't know where else to ask. Thanks all.
Having one child makes you a parent; having two you are a referee.
KS10

Re: 6th form dilemma

Post by KS10 »

St Dominic's Sixth Form College, Harrow-on-the-Hill. Open Day today till 3.

From their website:

A level Psychology – (EDEXCEL linear)

Unit 1: Foundations of Psychology (Social, Cognitive, Biological and Learning)
Unit 2: Applications of Psychology (Clinical and Criminal)
Unit 3: Psychological Skills (Synoptic, Research Methods, Issues and Debates)
Unit 1 content constitutes the standalone AS qualification assessed in two examination papers.
Units 1-3, assessed at the end of the second year make up the full A-Level Qualification.
baggies4ever

Post by baggies4ever »

Hi there, I can't help with 6th form choice, but can I just flag the potential challenges with taking Biology without Maths or Chemistry? My DD has just started Yr 12 & has commented on both the usefulness of Maths for Bio and the significant overlap between Bio & Chem (& that those taking single Bio are finding it tough going). This is consistent with the advice from all 6th forms we looked (ie exercise caution taking Bio as a single science). Apols if you've already thought this all through & have it covered - just wanted to pass on our experience in case it helps in subject selection. Good luck to your DS.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

DAO has a very strong Pyschology department. DG
vasu

Post by vasu »

KS10 wrote:St Dominic's Sixth Form College, Harrow-on-the-Hill. Open Day today till 3.

From their website:

A level Psychology – (EDEXCEL linear)

Unit 1: Foundations of Psychology (Social, Cognitive, Biological and Learning)
Unit 2: Applications of Psychology (Clinical and Criminal)
Unit 3: Psychological Skills (Synoptic, Research Methods, Issues and Debates)
Unit 1 content constitutes the standalone AS qualification assessed in two examination papers.
Units 1-3, assessed at the end of the second year make up the full A-Level Qualification.
We did go to open day today but my son is not impressed with their English or Biology departments. This year, no student got A* in biology so my DS was quite underwhelmed. So St DOMS is off our list sadly.
vasu

Post by vasu »

baggies4ever wrote:Hi there, I can't help with 6th form choice, but can I just flag the potential challenges with taking Biology without Maths or Chemistry? My DD has just started Yr 12 & has commented on both the usefulness of Maths for Bio and the significant overlap between Bio & Chem (& that those taking single Bio are finding it tough going). This is consistent with the advice from all 6th forms we looked (ie exercise caution taking Bio as a single science). Apols if you've already thought this all through & have it covered - just wanted to pass on our experience in case it helps in subject selection. Good luck to your DS.
Thank you some much. That was a valuable input.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If he likes St Michael's then I wouldn't worry about there being few boys.

I would advise checking what he might do at uni with those choices to check he has the 'right' combination.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

DS1 moved from a boys' grammar with a mixed sixth to a girls' grammar with a mixed sixth. There seem to be few, if any, issues regarding the gender balance at either school. There are no single -sex sixth forms in our area, so the students all have to just 'get on with it' anyway.

I'm afraid I can't suggest any specific sixth forms, as we are completely outside your area, although Woodhouse seems to get mentioned quite often on The Student Room - ?

Re possible other subjects, what does your DS want to do post-A level?

(Crossed with Guest55 :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
KB

Post by KB »

Another 'vote' for seriously considering that mix of A level choices.
Taking Biology without Chemistry or Maths is going to be pretty limiting for future study in a biosciences field.
Psychology A level isn't needed for Psychology degrees and there are those who think it's actually unhelpful.
So the choices he has currently made are closing doors rather than opening them.
I would be wary of limiting his choice of 6th form based on this criteria.
If you can find a 6th form that is a good fit and also offers the subject then great but I'd be concerned about compromising other factors.

It's really hard at 16 because they do need to make their own choices as they have to live with the consequences, good and bad. But they have complex decisions to make that many mature adults would find tricky!
vasu

Post by vasu »

I am constantly asking him to take chemistry but you know kids are at that age. But now after reading this I will have a serious chat with him. He did do his research pertaining to his choice of subjects. He does not want to take theoretical psychology at Uni. Neither is he interested in Medical or Bioscience. He love English and Biology. I think I will do my own research about the combination required for Uni, I know so less!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now