Nightmare 11 plus resits ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Nightmare 11 plus resits ?

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/educa ... 52071.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As many children gained an advantage afters seeing the GL 11 plus papers prior to sitting them and results for two schools have been rendered null and void and children have to resit the exams.The stress for the innocent children must be enormous but no hint of it in the article.

Am I wrong don't GL have a history of exam breaches ?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Daogroupie

Re: Nightmare 11 plus resits ?

Post by Daogroupie »

The innocent children are lucky to have another chance with a paper that no student has already seen.

I know of other incidents where this has happened and been reported and the authorities have turned a blind eye.

I winder if we will ever hear the details? DG
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

quasimodo wrote:Am I wrong don't GL have a history of exam breaches ?
No, they don't. There is however history of people doing stupid or illegal things with GL papers once they have been delivered to admission authorities or schools. That's quite a different matter.

It does however appear that in Devon the same papers are used on something like a 5-year cycle, so it's hardly surprising that some copies have escaped over that period of time.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

A rather jaundiced view, perhaps, but I bet the parents of the children who had already seen the paper are cursing the girl who first stuck a hand up to say so :shock: .

Is wholesale recycling the standard 'thing' with GL , or just a cheaper rate option they offer to schools?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

ToadMum wrote:Is wholesale recycling the standard 'thing' with GL , or just a cheaper rate option they offer to schools?
It's certainly not standard - the Bucks GL papers were always completely new every year.

I'm guessing therefore that it's a cost-cutting measure by the Devon grammars.

That worked then.

Not.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sally-Anne wrote:
ToadMum wrote:Is wholesale recycling the standard 'thing' with GL , or just a cheaper rate option they offer to schools?
It's certainly not standard - the Bucks GL papers were always completely new every year.

I'm guessing therefore that it's a cost-cutting measure by the Devon grammars.

That worked then.

Not.
Quite :roll:

At least if there are only 400 candidates, they should have no difficulty in getting the papers turned around in (reasonably) good time for the CAF deadline.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

Sally-Anne wrote:I'm guessing therefore that it's a cost-cutting measure by the Devon grammars.
For the record, there are seven grammar schools in Devon, of which Plymouth High School for Girls and Devonport High School for Girls are the two affected by the 2016 GL Assessment resits. Devonport High School for Boys, which is said on this site to also use GL Assessment, has not as far as I am aware been reported as being afflicted by the same problem.

The remaining four Devon grammar schools, Torquay Girls', Torquay Boys', Churston Ferrers (co-ed) and Colyton (co-ed) all use CEM not GL Assessment, and there has not as far as I am aware been any reported 2016 problem for these schools.
Last edited by equilibro on Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi equilbro

Yes, sorry for the shorthand - I knew it was the girls' schools only.
equilibro wrote:Devonport High School for Boys, which is said on this site to also use GL Assessment, has not as far as I am aware been reported as being afflicted by the same problem.
Either that or the boys didn't put their hands up! :roll:

S-A
equilibro

Post by equilibro »

My post edited S-A, for a "resit" on the apostrophes :)
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

equilibro wrote:My post edited S-A, for a "resit" on the apostrophes :)
:lol:

We've been round the block on that one, equilbro: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... as#p281879" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's semi-colons that still challenge me ...

; :?: ; :( ; :x ; :oops: ; :twisted:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now