Desperate Parents seek advice...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Robmax

Desperate Parents seek advice...

Post by Robmax »

Term after term of scrimping and saving we have managed to provide our daughter thus far with, what we hoped was a descent enough education, that would be a solid foundation to serve as a stepping stone for future learning enabling her a better chance in today's uncertain future.

We had been assured by all her teachers that she is a very bright girl who, with a little push, will do well in her 11+ exams, should secure a place in some of the private schools but will get into all the grammar schools we selected.

Guess what... she failed in all except one private school which now we cannot afford and has been offered a place at a local state school.

We have always provided her with the best of everything but not to the extent of spoiling her.

Where did we go wrong and what can we do to fix it.

Anyone, anywhere, any advice, HELP Plzzzzzzzzz...
chad

Post by chad »

Robmax..... from your post I am assuming your daughter has a place at a grammar school allocated.

11+ exams are a completely different 'beast' to any other exams your daughter would have sat. Not knowing your area makes it hard to comment on the exam format. Maturity, confidence, format of exam are all factors at 10 years old. :roll:
Many children do not do well under the exam conditions... they are only 10... to achieve a grammar school place your child has done well.....this should be looked upon as the building block.

Congratulate her on her achievement and look ahead.... I am sure that you are supportive parents... this will prove invaluable in the years to come. :)
[img]http://sl.glitter-graphics.net/pub/748/748895c3fyugpiju.gif[/img]
katel

Post by katel »

Not sure I understand - you say your dd has a place at grammar school? Isn't that a good thing?
zorro

Post by zorro »

I agree with Katel- what's the problem?
Robmax

Sorry.. Have amended original message

Post by Robmax »

Sorry.. I did not make it clear, she has been offered a place at the local state school.

Rob
usa

Post by usa »

Robmax
Whereabouts are you -which county?
Did she not pass by many points?
Let us know what county/schools and rest assured there is always someone on here that can offer valuable support and advice and will get you through this!
Good luck
USA
chad

Post by chad »

Sorry Robmax.... thought she had a gramamr place....

Please could you give more details.... there should be an appeal system within your area... but each is different . We should be able to point you in the right direction.e
katel

Post by katel »

She will do well with your support wherever she goes. The important thing now is to make sure that she doesn't feel she has let you down in any way. She tried her best - and she will continue to try her best, so long as she doesn't get a hint of your concerns.

Good luck to her!
flashismyname

Post by flashismyname »

HEY

i think you should appeal (if you havent) and if that fails you should send her to the private school.
ClaraM

Post by ClaraM »

Do not despair.

Everyone fails sometimes in life.

The important thing is to let her know that she has done her best and that you're proud of her anyway. This is key to help her regain her self-esteem and confidence.

As for the private schools, there is the possibility that you can apply later on at a non-standard ages or at 13 years old. If she has improved there is a chance a scholarship will be offered. If not, there is always a bursary application. See what the school can do. More places & scholarships are offered at 16 years old (A-Level entrance exams) but it'll be competitive and she'll need to be very prepared.

The sooner she knows how to use her brain effectively and acquire studying and learning skills, the more confident she'll be next time around.

If you want to know how I prepared my daughter to pass her entrance exams at Haberdashers, St. Helen's and North London Collegiate, contact me (PM or email) and I'll be happy to share.
--Clara
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now