Good % score in nvr

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mb88

Good % score in nvr

Post by Mb88 »

Hi Ds has a selective school entRnce next month but our scores don't ever exceed 70% . Is that good enough and how can we improve ?

We have done all packs of bond test papersand gl assessment as well ..... Feel like just wasted time :((((
Daogroupie

Re: Good % score in nvr

Post by Daogroupie »

Stop doing tests and actually teach your ds how to do NVR.

Go to amazon or the forum shop and search on "How to do NVR" and buy a book that will teach him how to do it. DG
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

It depends on how selective the school is, how many apply, if what you've been practising is like the test and finally and most importantly how natural a vocabulary does your DS have. DD sat for a highly selective independent and also the state grammars. The test content was very different. The independent for example didn't have multiple choice so there was no chance of boosting a score by guessing the odd one. For the grammars the bond books were ok for practice and speed. They eere miles apart from the Independent exam. Some of the grammar tests just required about 50%, the superselective closer to 80%. It is often good to reduce your home based test scores by a margin to account for stress and nerves. You need to identify where he is going wrong (the types of questions are outlined in the books about how to do NVR that DAOG mentions) as there is no learning going on if he keeps getting the same type of question wrong. Next month is an odd time of year for an Indy test, most I know do them in Jan. Will be nice though not to be having it hanging over his head for Christmas.
Northdad

Post by Northdad »

Which school(s) are you looking at? Are you fully confident that they require NVR? Do you know which exam board they use. It's only worth doing diy if you feel confident to help them through the areas of difficulty.
Mb88

Post by Mb88 »

Thank you for the reply , we are based in Dubai and the test is in November , I have tried to do the answer books from bond but I find it hard so how can I blame him! Yes he's required to score high , what is high may I ask other parents ?
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Are you sitting for a school in Dubai? Is it GL NVR? Is NVR the only format or are there others? DG
Mb88

Post by Mb88 »

It's called dubai college and they do a cat test - not sure whether it's gl or bond but it's a super selective school even compared to uk standard

I would really like to know what do the successful kids score in the practise test whether bond or gl ?

And if anyone can give any tips to improve the score as we are really short on time now

Thanks in advance
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

On their website it say there are three tests: English extended writing , Maths and a CAT test.

I would focus on the extended writing if I were you. That tends to be where boys lose marks.

NVR will just be one third of the CAT test but the English will be much more important.

How is his composition? DG
Mb88

Post by Mb88 »

Thanks for the reply dear, his composition could improve. I bot the how to do book and I'm glad to say that was very helpful for nvr ! Thanks for that tip ;))

I don't know how to improve his composition and vocabulary ? Any ideas as time is short?
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Daogroupie, the how to do NVR book, which one would you recommend please?