Marling results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

bearInTheAir

Marling results

Post by bearInTheAir »

Can anyone explain what the results letter actually means? It says DS was 30 places below qualifying standard. But is that 30 marks? He says he needed the toilet during the maths section and it was "a long way". I don't want to appeal if his marks are way below, but everyone is pretty surprised he failed. If the marks are pretty close it might be worth it. Is there any way of finding out the actual score range? Does anyone know how how many places got the qualifying standard?

DD's letter for SHS 2 years ago was much clearer!
hermanmunster

Re: Marling results

Post by hermanmunster »

I think from what other letters have said it is places not marks - not sure there is any info as to how places equates to marks
steppemum

Post by steppemum »

it is definitely places not marks.

I am guessing that it means he is 30 boys below the level required for entry. Don't forget it is all relative anyway, you are ranked against the rest of the cohort.

Above the qualifying standard there will be boys ranked from 1-400 (approx, not sure what number they rank to) and not all of these will get a place.

BUT there does seem to be some confusion with Marlings letter, on another thread we could not work out if the poster's son was ranked at 180 (good chance of a place) or 180 places below the qualifying score.

This phrase 'below the qualifying score' is really unhelpful.

I would phone and ask. Get it clarified - does it mean 30 places outside of their top 150, or has he failed to qualify altogether?
Last edited by steppemum on Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree with Steppemum - I don't think they have given ranks in previous years if below the qualifying score but there seem to be some results letters implying that they have done. Phone call sounds the best bet
bearInTheAir

Post by bearInTheAir »

It said in the accompanying humph that if a boy is below qualifying standard he won't even be considered, which says to me that the qualifying standard must cover more than 150. I'll drop them an email and ask, at least it's not just me confused!
cazien

Post by cazien »

bearInTheAir wrote:It said in the accompanying humph that if a boy is below qualifying standard he won't even be considered, which says to me that the qualifying standard must cover more than 150. I'll drop them an email and ask, at least it's not just me confused!
Correct, there is a qualifying standard which, to me, means they rank enough DC's to take up all Grammar School PANs, plus a few extra to compensate fot those who do not opt for a place. You cannot be considered for a place if DC has not reached the qs. You can put the school on your CAF application but your DS will be turned down for a place on the grounds that "he did not meet qualifying standard". You will then have to appeal on the grounds of non-qualification.

Marling does seem to have caused a bit of confusion this year - but no doubt they have told everyoe where their DS is on the list to try and minimise phone calls along the lines of "how far off a place is my DS?". Looks like it may have back-fired though :roll: