SHSB or WHSB?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
T0tleybrook

SHSB or WHSB?

Post by T0tleybrook »

Hi all,
This topic might well have been discussed before, so apologies if it already has.
DS has scored well enough to get green for both the Southend grammars (OC).
He enjoyed both open days, and we're having a tough time deciding which one to apply for first.
Would anyone be able to advise and help in the decision making?

1) Location- ease of travel from Brentwood/Shenfield areas
2) Curriculum - DS loves maths, science, music, sport (all sorts)
3) Afterschool activities/lunchtime clubs
4) General feel of school, diversity, pastoral

Sorry for all the questions, but I guess we don't have much time to make up our minds now :D
ToadMum

Re: SHSB or WHSB?

Post by ToadMum »

T0tleybrook wrote:Hi all,
This topic might well have been discussed before, so apologies if it already has.
DS has scored well enough to get green for both the Southend grammars (OC).
He enjoyed both open days, and we're having a tough time deciding which one to apply for first.
Would anyone be able to advise and help in the decision making?

1) Location- ease of travel from Brentwood/Shenfield areas
2) Curriculum - DS loves maths, science, music, sport (all sorts)
3) Afterschool activities/lunchtime clubs
4) General feel of school, diversity, pastoral

Sorry for all the questions, but I guess we don't have much time to make up our minds now :D
Firstly, take him to both again for the info afternoon and tour

That being said, public transport (by train) is easier to SHSB,as Prittlewell is about 10-15 minutes' walk away. Past Priory Park, which is lovely (as is the actual Priory, well worth a visit), or even through, as a bit of a detour. Scholars Season tickets make it a very cost effective way to travel to school, and very flexible....

...for when he wants to do one of the many after school clubs (DS2 stays to help in the library on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays and goes to Science Society on Thursdays, Wargames on Fridays).

Or get to school for sports practice / cross country at 7.45 am.
('We' usually beat Westcliff, not to mention many other schools, Borough Athletics champions for the past 30+ years, chosen to represent England in the World School Athletics championships more than once). Cartoon Club Tuesday lunchtimes (there are lots of other clubs, plus something sporty before school, after school and at lunchtime).

Maths Challenge entry (but they all do those).

Pastoral care seems okay in our experience. If by diversity, not mean ethnically, I would say that both schools have a higher percentage ethnic minority pupils than are representative of the local population as a whole.

Southend (town) walking distance or short bus trip from SHSB (Westcliff ditto Leigh Broadway) for hanging out with friends at Shakeaway or Utopia :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
T0tleybrook

Post by T0tleybrook »

Thanks Toadmum. That was really useful!
Good3boys

Post by Good3boys »

I have 2ds' at WHSB - both are very happy there but we are local so they can get the public bus home easily if they miss the school bus! Or want to do after school clubs.

If you are in Shenfield/Brentwood area, I'd go for SHSB it's very easier to connect to via train and therefore quicker to get to/from school/home - this all counts when it's wet, cold and dark with lots to carry and homework to do.

Well done to your ds on passing
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now