Wandsworth test - no results yet

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
streathammum

Wandsworth test - no results yet

Post by streathammum »

My DS sat the Wandsworth test with a view to Graveney. We'd been expecting the results this week (we'd been told they'd be out in the first week of October) but an officer at Wandsworth has just told me this:
"It is our hope to have the scores to parents by the end of next week, all being well."
So the wait goes on. I'll have no fingernails left at this rate.
Wimbles

Re: Wandsworth test - no results yet

Post by Wimbles »

Thanks for this - good to know.

DS keeps asking about it :roll:

Did you try asking for the results on the phone?

I'm not sure how the banding relates to whether you get a place? Do you have to be in bank A to get a place in upper or extension?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I didn't try asking over the phone - but if you do and you're successful, please let me know! :lol:

Graveney doesn't use the banding system. It takes a given number - around 60 I think - based on the test score, so to get in on ability you have to be at least in the top 5% or so. The rest are admitted as siblings and on distance from school.

Whether a child is put into extension or not depends on a lot of factors, I think, including the test score but also SATs and a test that they take on arrival.

Chestnut Grove uses the 'fair banding' system - the children are divided up into 5 ability bands and each band contributes 20% of its intake, with distance being used to decide who within each band is admitted.
dadathome

Post by dadathome »

I understand Graveney also regularly reviews the top stream - pupils move in and out based on assessment. There's a myth I hear that those who get in on the test are in a sort of school within a school.
Wimbles

Post by Wimbles »

Update from Wandsworth Council - results to be emailed on Monday. So the wait goes on... :(
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Wandsworth's website now says results will be out "by 15 October". So don't hold your breath! :roll:
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

The scores are out. DS got 274, which we're pretty proud about.

I know this would have been enough in previous years to get an ability place in Graveney but am still worried that the new arrangements, with results being available before the submission deadline, might mean that the score he needs will increase. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed and am grateful that at least we have this info before we have to apply.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Vow, that's top 1% of the candidates.

Did he take exams for any other grammar schools?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Thank you! I'm not sure how the rankings work so don't really know how 274 compares with others.

He passed the SET for both the second stage tests and for Wallington Boys. Of the second stage tests, I'm optimistic about one, the other a bit less so. Haven't yet decided on the order for the CAF.

Am so glad to have got the Graveney result before the deadline date. I know nothing is guaranteed but if what you say is correct (about DS being close to the top) then we can be fairly confident about Graveney at least.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

All the best. I am sure he will do very well whichever school is lucky to have him.

Any idea how many candidates sit for the Wandsworth test? Any last year figures?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now