Stroud Mum's newspaper article

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

scaredycat

Stroud Mum's newspaper article

Post by scaredycat »

Anyone read this article on the Citizen website? A Stroud Mum who thinks that "the system stinks". Whatever your view on the grammar school debate, it makes interesting reading.
ToadMum

Re: Stroud Mum's newspaper article

Post by ToadMum »

scaredycat wrote:Anyone read this article on the Citizen website? A Stroud Mum who thinks that "the system stinks". Whatever your view on the grammar school debate, it makes interesting reading.
http://m.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/gram ... story.html

I even did the 'how many mobile phone payment systems can you name?' survey to get there, so no doubt will evermore be plagued with pop-ups from Gloucestershire Live on Facebook :shock:
However, having found the article.I I did rather lose the will to live about half way through.I assume that Stroud Mum junior won't be taking the 11+, then?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Ha, ha. I thought the same. Was she trying to impress us with her extensive vocabulary I wondered?
yellowdawg

Post by yellowdawg »

The same article appeared on the Guardian website yesterday although in that version she called a "bad person" a "s**t" and the act of sending your child to a GS a "s**tty thing to do"

Would love to know what she calls people who use their advantageous financial situations to send their offspring to independent schools! Or those people in the public eye who denounce selective education or push comprehensive education and then send their own kids to independent school....
bigbristols

Post by bigbristols »

Here is the link for the Guardian article - to avoid the pain of the Gloucestershire/Citizen website:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ls-parents" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Exactly, I am always surprised that those who are so vocal in their opposition to Grammar schools never mention independent schools (who have charitable status) in their arguments. I wonder where she went to school?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

yellowdawg wrote:The same article appeared on the Guardian website yesterday although in that version she called a "bad person" a "s**t" and the act of sending your child to a GS a "s**tty thing to do"

Would love to know what she calls people who use their advantageous financial situations to send their offspring to independent schools! Or those people in the public eye who denounce selective education or push comprehensive education and then send their own kids to independent school....
if you are alluding to a certain recently-elevated personage, you have to remember that she lives in a nice house with nice food to eat. Unlike her neighbours, who are homeless and have to use foodbanks :shock: . So that's all right, then.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Just discovered her twitter, she went to grammar for a year but detested it (naturally). I'm looking forward to reading her views on independent schools!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

scaredycat wrote:Just discovered her twitter, she went to grammar for a year but detested it (naturally). I'm looking forward to reading her views on independent schools!
Or Archway, perhaps? Where, incidentally, my two closest (to me in age) cousins did very well back in the day, but no doubt another forty years of SHS and Marling being allowed to carry on existing has reduced it and all the other non-selective schools to a state unto which she cannot possibly contemplate delivering her offspring as a sacrifice to her beliefs? I'm probably being terribly unfair, of course :lol: .
yellowdawg

Post by yellowdawg »

ToadMum, that's exactly who I meant! the one that Ann Widdecombe doesn't like...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now