For parents considering Dartford Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ronkevso

For parents considering Dartford Grammar School

Post by ronkevso »

This time last year many parents shared their dc's experience of Dartford Grammar School and it was so helpful to us.

I would like to do the same this year. If anyone has any questions to ask please do not hesitate to ask.
piggymom

Re: For parents considering Dartford Grammar School

Post by piggymom »

Boys or Girls?
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

Boys
jayzee1

Post by jayzee1 »

Hello

My eldest son is now year 13 there and started in year 7 doing his IB

My dd is in year 8 girls grammar

What would you like to know
grgygirl

Post by grgygirl »

I will be going to see Dartford Grammar school next week. I saw it last year too. I really liked it but I am concerned about the IB. It seems like a lot of work and ds much more into science/maths than the 'writing' subjects. ds is concerned about the lack of football and we both really dislike rugby! Travel would be the most straightforward of all of our grammar options. Can anyone persuade us to get beyond that (assuming that this years ooc score will get ds in of course!).
Blametheparents

Post by Blametheparents »

Nobody is going to try and persuade you to go to a school!

Your child, your choice.

Yes, the school is rugby focused - no school football team and rugby all but compulsory on a Saturday morning until at least October half term of year 7.

The IB v A level debate will rumble on. Yes, IB is tough, but A levels aren't 'easy'. Your son may discover strengths that he didn't know he had when he hits senior school or have different preferences.
RoboR

Post by RoboR »

My DS just started in Y7 and absolutely loves it, at 1st he was a little nervous about the rugby but having just been picked for the A team he is always looking forward to it. Homework wise he has not complained too much as he understands that he will get homework whichever school he went to ! He has made so many new friends from a wide background he actually enjoys going to school !! I personally cannot fault the communication from the school as they are extremely professional but you need to choose the school that fits your own child.
ronkevso

Post by ronkevso »

My son has just started year 7 at DGS. DGS was a parental decision as he wanted a grammar school with a football team. He also thought the school would be posh/ snobby. However I cannot speak too highly about DGS, ds is loving the school.

He is a naturally quite boy and was really worried about making friends however he has made lots of friends. The induction day in the summer helped with this. He has always enjoyed school but he cannot stop talking about his lessons at DGS. He is enjoying being challenged. He always seem to have homework to do but he is quite slow at starting his homework.

The school communication is fantastic. I always seem to have a DGS email to read. The year 7 induction programme comprises of a range of interesting activities for the students, siblings and parents.

As for the football...well he insisted he couldn't enjoy a school without a football team but as SALSA and others told me, they play football all the time in break and lunch. The rugby, I can't believe it but ds is loving rugby. Before he started he didn't really know the rules of the game but now he is enjoying it and takes the training seriously. He has also been chosen to be part of the A team ( which I think is good)

DGS seems very strict which I love. The boys stand up when a member of staff walks into the classroom. They seem to be concerned with the whole child. However would have loved the school to hold the year 7 parents evening in Oct rather than Dec but you can't have it all.

All in all we are really happy with the school especially ds.
hanaF

Post by hanaF »

Many thanks for sharing your experience. We are going to the open evening next week, but there are a few things we'd like to know:

1) How is the walk uphill from Dartford station? Or what buses can they take from there?

2) Does it offer good STEM enrichment? DS was impressed by St Olave's robotics club, but if the same is also on offer at DGS he may change his mind.

3) DS hates football. His favourite sports are archery, hockey and tennis that he experienced in a holiday sport camp. Are these on offer in the school?

4) DS is very shy and would take time to warm up to new teachers and classmates. Once he knows you he is fine. Some inexperienced teachers may interpret his silence as reluctance to cooperate. Would he be alright for DGS?

Thanks a lot.
MartyMcFly

Post by MartyMcFly »

Hello All
We are also looking at Dartford on Thurs night. Sometimes the Open evenings can be very busy and hectic. What departments or things should we look out for/head for so we get a feel for the 'real' school.
If you have boys at the school what have they enjoyed about being at Dartford G?
As parents have you been happy with the IB route so far?
Thanks!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now