advice required (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Purple Teapot

advice required (Bucks)

Post by Purple Teapot »

My DS has not qualified for the 11 plus - he is very upset not sure of what the next steps are - I have called the headteacher to ask their advice to see whether it is worth doing the selection review - can anyone who has been here before outline the next steps and what/how the selection review works. - Many thanks
Etienne

Re: Advice required

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Have you followed the links to reviews/appeals in Sally-Anne's post?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=48535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Once you've finished reading, if you still have unanswered questions, do please let us know.
Etienne
Purple Teapot

Re: advice required

Post by Purple Teapot »

Thank you Etienne - I will get reading
Purple Teapot

Post by Purple Teapot »

I have read the information and have left a message for the head teacher - so will wait to see what she says. Its very difficult as I feel as though I have a very able child who has consistently been above average in all his school reports - his year 3 reports show he was working at a level 4c but I am my slight concern is that now we have scrapped the levels he is just working at age expected level. I cant demonstrate that he is a 5A etc - oh dear I think I need a glass of wine and a restart button to look at this again on Monday.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ask the headteacher to fill in a selection review summary sheet. (You don't have to submit it and go ahead with a review if you don't want to. You can keep your options open.)

The summary sheet ought to clarify whether he's working significantly above average.
Etienne
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

It is also worth asking the Head to provide the sheet in draft form for you to read. Not that you would seek to influence what s/he has written, but sometimes Heads don't get it all right first time, especially if there are a few parents going to review. If what s/he has written doesn't tally with his past school reports, you can certainly question it.

Incidentally, if a review fails because the Head has made a serious mistake on the form, or has omitted some vital information, it could be argued at a subsequent appeal that the review was not fair, consistent and objective. I recall a ruling by the ombudsman - 2006? - that several appeal cases had to be re-heard because the appeal panel had not taken into account that a primary school Head was acting as an agent of the LA in the 11+ process when failing to provide headteacher recommendations on time.
Similarly, in the context of reviews, it is arguable that a failure on the part of a primary school Head to provide significant information for the review panel could mean that the review process was not fair, consistent and objective.
The ombudsman's ruling may not necessarily have set a binding precedent, but it's an argument that ought to receive proper consideration by the appeal panel, and they should seek legal advice if they need it.
K76

Post by K76 »

Good luck with your next steps Purple Teapot!

I have a very similar question so I hope it is ok to post here instead of starting a new thread. I am asking on behalf of a friend who is concerned as the school her DD goes to doesn't have appear to have had a successful review in the last few years. I know someone from the same school a couple of years ago went to review with head's full support and 1:1 recommendation but was still unsuccessful. Do you think this would have an adverse effect on future children recommended by the same school?

K76
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

K76 wrote:I have a very similar question so I hope it is ok to post here instead of starting a new thread. I am asking on behalf of a friend who is concerned as the school her DD goes to doesn't have appear to have had a successful review in the last few years. I know someone from the same school a couple of years ago went to review with head's full support and 1:1 recommendation but was still unsuccessful. Do you think this would have an adverse effect on future children recommended by the same school?
I don't think what's happened in the past should be taken into account.

Review panels (and subsequently appeal panels) will have in front of them a breakdown of the recommendations made by the school this year, and details of how many of those children have been successful in the 11+.

If the school is currently seen to be unrealistic, scattering recommendations around like confetti, then even a 1:1 could cease to have any value.

Hope this helps. If you wish to continue discussing, do please start your own thread.
Etienne
Purple Teapot

APPEAL INFORMATION - BUCKS

Post by Purple Teapot »

Hi wondering if you would be able to provide some answers to questions I have about the appeals process. I have finally decided to go ahead with an appeal as I don't feel we will be successful with a SR due to low STTS and no extenuating circumstances and only good academic results to date! So now I have overcome that first hurdle I have a few questions regarding the appeals process.

I understand that on the CAF I will put gs first and then chosen upper and in March I will request an appeals pack. Looking through the appeals forum I have noticed that the appeals can take place over a couple of days - as I don't have to go through the FCO bit we will only have to attend an appeal hearing on one day? Also secondly I understand that if we were to be successful at the appeal would they offer us an immediate place at the gs or would we have to then do an appeal at a later day for oversubscription or would this take place on the same day??? Just trying to work out how it all works and what hurdles I will have to overcome in the next year! Many thanks for your excellent forum certainly kept me busy over the last week or 2 reading all the information!
Guest55

Re: advice required (Bucks)

Post by Guest55 »

Any over-subscription part takes place at the one appeal. You have to argue both that your child should have qualified and that the particular GS is 'best fit'. Are you applying just to one GS? If you read the past cases you can see than sometimes one IAP has said yes and another IAP seeing the same evidence has said no - any 'yes' just applies to that school.