jadelady appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Jadelady

jadelady appeal

Post by Jadelady »

Hi

My daughter got 120 and I want to appeal but I remember at the school meeting regarding the test that you have 2 methods of appeal but one risks you not getting a place because the school may be full by then only I don't remember which.

I've read through the appeals posts on here but it didn't really answer this

Thanks in advance.

Jade

I have split this off and started a new separate thread for you. We like to keep appeals threads separate for each poster to keep all their info together in one place.
Etienne

Re: jadelady appeal

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

If you follow the links to reviews/appeals in Sally-Anne's post, you will find the answer to your question.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 12&t=48535" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Reviews are completed before places are allocated - you need strong academic evidence and strong support from a Head. They consider a narrow range of evidence and you cannot be there or send work.

Appeals are after March but you can submit more evidence. If you've already had a review you have to overcome the FCO hurdle [read about it carefully]. You do risk having to deal with over-subscription as well ...

Read all the guidance and talk frankly to the Head ...
Jadelady

Post by Jadelady »

So what do I do regarding submitting her secondary application as the review is unlikely to take place before the end of October Andy it's says on the bucks cc website you can't list grammar schools

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You must list a GS or you won't get one if the review is succesful and you can't appeal either as you won't have had a place refused.
Jadelady

Selection review

Post by Jadelady »

I met with the headteacher today and she will support my application for selection review but gave her a 2:3!!! How bad is that?

My daughter is in. The top groups for all subjects, been school counsellor in every year and is house captain this year. She's always been above average in her school reports except last year when they changed to the way they assess to below, within, within upper and above. She got mostly withins and 2 upper withins!

I'm just looking at the paper with no idea what to write. As for extenuating circumstances what counts without sounding like a sob story? Bereavement, bullying, parents health, etc

Just feels like such a minefield

Thanks
Etienne

Re: Selection review

Post by Etienne »

Jadelady wrote:I met with the headteacher today and she will support my application for selection review but gave her a 2:3!!! How bad is that?
This might be all right, but it depends how many of her '2' recommendations qualified. The panel will look at how reliable/realistic her overall recommendations have been.
The top groups for all subjects,
Good, but it depends on the standard within the school.
been school counsellor in every year and is house captain this year.
This is not relevant for a review or an appeal. Stick to academic evidence and extenuating circumstances.
She's always been above average in her school reports except last year when they changed to the way they assess to below, within, within upper and above. She got mostly withins and 2 upper withins!
But has she been significantly above average/above expectations in reading, writing and maths?
I'm just looking at the paper with no idea what to write.
It won't help if you can't get the facts to fit, but have you looked at our sample letter?
As for extenuating circumstances what counts without sounding like a sob story? Bereavement, bullying, parents health, etc
Have you read http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - and all the subsequent links to extenuating circumstances?
Just feels like such a minefield
It is! :(

Good luck!
Etienne