Is Adams viable from Sutton coldfield

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

workethic

Is Adams viable from Sutton coldfield

Post by workethic »

Hello all, can anyone help by pointing out any pro's and con's we havn't thought of?

At the minute your CAF is looking:

1) Queen Marys Grammar

2) ??? Adams Grammar ???

3) Streetly (feeder school and within short distance)

4) Barr Beacon

5) ??

My sons score was 322 - so (I think) a reasonable chance of QMGS but its only be a small margin and just in case we are offered Adams as a second choice we need to feel we are fully committed to the long travel option.

We are happy to fund long distacnce contracted taxis if not too expensive.
We are happy to fund day boarding, that I understand is £900 per term.

Things to consider:

How tired my child will be.
How much he will miss out on family life after school.
After-school activities for him and my four year old (if I am tied into travel arrangements somehow)
My younger child may have to be in after school club/child minder care if I am dropping/picking up.

We dont want to put it as second option unless we are committed to it, as per equal preference system
There is the danger of thinking my son misses out on a grammar because of transport issues that we have shyed away from.

Any advice welcome, thank you.
Ricky74

Re: Is Adams viable from Sutton coldfield

Post by Ricky74 »

Sorry - not much help, but are you not considering Wolverhampton at all?

If you are able to afford day boarding then why not consider Highclare fees?

We live in your area and didn't make Vesey grade. Waiting on QM but must admit that we always said we wouldn't travel much further than those two.

However, looking at previous years I would like to think you will go to QM. Your post yesterday has given me something to hold on to before our QM results arrive and I was really grateful to your kind words so hope others can provide you with some answers re Adams :D
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

workethic wrote:Hello all, can anyone help by pointing out any pro's and con's we havn't thought of?

1) Queen Marys Grammar

2) ??? Adams Grammar ???

4) Barr Beacon

5) ??

My sons score was 322 - so (I think) a reasonable chance of QMGS but its only be a small margin and just in case we are offered Adams as a second choice we need to feel we are fully committed to the long travel option.

We are happy to fund long distacnce contracted taxis if not too expensive.
We are happy to fund day boarding, that I understand is £900 per term.

Things to consider:

How tired my child will be.
How much he will miss out on family life after school.
After-school activities for him and my four year old (if I am tied into travel arrangements somehow)
My younger child may have to be in after school club/child minder care if I am dropping/picking up.

We dont want to put it as second option unless we are committed to it, as per equal preference system
There is the danger of thinking my son misses out on a grammar because of transport issues that we have shyed away from.

Any advice welcome, thank you.
Aldridge could be a possible fifth option.

AA route planner has a 36 mile journey in 47 minutes from SC to Newport.You can double that in real time during peak periods.Would you be able to relocate in due course ?

Streetly is a good comprehensive and you are in catchment.The best comprehensive in the area?
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

quasimodo wrote:AA route planner has a 36 mile journey in 47 minutes from SC to Newport.You can double that in real time during peak periods.Would you be able to relocate in due course ?
I know the 'journey' as I did it when my DS sat the exams at Adams a few years ago while we were living in Sutton Coldfield (in the 'era' :wink: when parents did not know the results when filling their CAF form).

It was our last choice before the comprehensive school on our CAF and I was ready to relocate if this were to be the GS my DS would be admitted to.

If you pursue the idea of writing this excellent GS on your CAF, enquire properly about the boarding option in the eventuality of your DS going there... or, as Quasimodo advices, relocate. In my humble opinion, it is easier for adults to bear long commute than children!
Hope this helps.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

[quote="workethic"]Hello all, can anyone help by pointing out any pro's and con's we havn't thought of?

1) Queen Marys Grammar

2) ??? Adams Grammar ???

4) Barr Beacon

5) ??

quote]

When we were deciding we only considered schools within commutable distance, regardless of whether grammar or comp. Relocating was not an option for us.
It is such a personal choice.
Our comp choice was Arthur Terry as closest to us BUT last week we went to visit Streetly Academy for their Sixth Form open evening. DD and I were really impressed. We went to look at it as a back up option incase she doesn't get the grades to stay on at SCGSG (5 A's and at least a B in Maths), but she was so impressed she has decided she may want to go there anyway.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

booellesmum wrote:
workethic wrote:Hello all, can anyone help by pointing out any pro's and con's we havn't thought of?

1) Queen Marys Grammar

2) ??? Adams Grammar ???

4) Barr Beacon

5) ??

quote]

When we were deciding we only considered schools within commutable distance, regardless of whether grammar or comp. Relocating was not an option for us.
It is such a personal choice.
Our comp choice was Arthur Terry as closest to us BUT last week we went to visit Streetly Academy for their Sixth Form open evening. DD and I were really impressed. We went to look at it as a back up option incase she doesn't get the grades to stay on at SCGSG (5 A's and at least a B in Maths), but she was so impressed she has decided she may want to go there anyway.
I do agree Streetly is a very good school. The only reason I put a question mark about it being the best in the area and I appreciate not everyone will want to go to a religious school is that after the experiences of one of my nieces at St Francis of Assisi in Aldridge I only have positive things to say about her school.They take about 10 non Catholics in the sixth form.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
northerngal

Post by northerngal »

My DS is in y9 at AGS and we are fortunate enough to be in area. We chose the day boarding option during y7 and whilst it worked for the first 12 months he quickly 'outgrew' it and we decided to end day boarding in y8. there are very few day boarders at Longford (I think just my DS and his friend when he was attending)

To make to commute easier could you consider the AGS bus to Wolves(or other) and collect him from there? that would reduce your time in the car and your DS would get some of the social/independence aspects of organising himself?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now