Bucks - remark request - anyone with experience?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SandyMummy

Bucks - remark request - anyone with experience?

Post by SandyMummy »

Just wondering if anyone one here has been through this and whether it actually made a difference to the score?

Thanks
scary mum

Re: Bucks - remark request - anyone with experience?

Post by scary mum »

I think Sally-Anne has previously said that she has never known of a re-mark changing the score, I'm afraid.
scary mum
JAWAT

Post by JAWAT »

Further to the earlier question about Bucks remark I too am interested to know.

I appreciate that a remark has rarely resulted in a change of score but 1) is it still available (can't find anything about it on bucks cc website) and if it is 2) what information does it provide?

I have seen posts from 2013 and 2014 where they were given a break down in each test for verbal, non verbal and maths.

My main concern is the lack of visibility about the procedure. Do they go back to the original answer sheets and add up the correct answers, check for any answers that might have been missed (maybe pencil wasn't pressed hard enough) and the computer hasn't given the child credit for?

Every year there are examples of too many kids getting results much lower than expected and no one ever knows why nor is there a process to find out.

This year it was my sons turn. He did not have an off day, he did not mistime the sections and we do not believe he marked his answers out of sequence. He did not panic and always has a cool head in tests and consistently performed at 85% success rate throughout preparation. Yet his peers who he performed on a par with, if not above, qualified and he didn't. We are at a total loss. It wasn't in one particular area he performed worse in but across the board. Something is just not right so a remark is one option before starting the painful journey of appeal rather than review.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Jawat, I hope you get the answers you need. From memory, I believe that the remark (if they still offer it) provides a little more detail so you may be able to see where your son went wrong. I would imagine the original test is optically marked, and then a remark may be done by hand. You are correct in saying that every year some children don't do as well as expected, and this is true, but I think that emphasises that it is just the way of the test, rather than something wrong with the marking. Sometimes on the day, children don't do as well as expected. This carries on throughout their school life. I have a DD who while preparing for her A levels appeared to get As on every practice paper. Easy when done in her bedroom, not so easy in an exam hall.
scary mum
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

I think I would try and pursue this further (sorry I am unable to advise specifically how to do this ) but given your son's ability, is there anything you can do to appeal for the academic nature of your son? Incidentally did he do any mocks? I think an influence could be the formality and nerves of the exam itself so he might have made some easy mistakes or not covered enough questions - just a guess.
Natashaw

Post by Natashaw »

I've have just made an order to have my daughters exam papers re-marked by hand. I contacted 'admission@buckscc.gov.uk' via email and made the request, they sent me a response within 24hrs with a link to follow and a secure site to make a payment with a debit/credit card for £28. They said I should receive the results within 10days and stressed its "extremely unlikely" an error has been made. For me it's about being 100% sure you never know it's Extremely unlikely not impossible. Hope that helps
JAWAT

Post by JAWAT »

Thanks for everyone's help and replies. I have finally managed to get through to Bucks cc on the phone and have now emailed them for the link for the remark (I'm sure they could have made the process easier if they wanted to!). We will put grammar schools on our CAF and then have the option to go to appeal in March. I guess you should put grammar schools on the CAF anyway incase the remark throws up a qualifying score? Natashaw you're right 'extremely unlikely does not mean impossible' and you have to be sure you've done everything you can. We will definitely consider the 12+ too when that time comes around. DS is being very resilient and we are very proud of him for his attitude.

Adopting the inspirational quote "When something goes wrong in your life, just yell "Plot Twist!" and move on" as my motto of the week!
bananababy

Post by bananababy »

Natashaw wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 pm I've have just made an order to have my daughters exam papers re-marked by hand. I contacted 'admission@buckscc.gov.uk' via email and made the request, they sent me a response within 24hrs with a link to follow and a secure site to make a payment with a debit/credit card for £28. They said I should receive the results within 10days and stressed its "extremely unlikely" an error has been made. For me it's about being 100% sure you never know it's Extremely unlikely not impossible. Hope that helps

Has the remark got you any any positive results?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

bananababy wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:11 pm
Natashaw wrote: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:59 pm I've have just made an order to have my daughters exam papers re-marked by hand. I contacted 'admission@buckscc.gov.uk' via email and made the request, they sent me a response within 24hrs with a link to follow and a secure site to make a payment with a debit/credit card for £28. They said I should receive the results within 10days and stressed its "extremely unlikely" an error has been made. For me it's about being 100% sure you never know it's Extremely unlikely not impossible. Hope that helps

Has the remark got you any any positive results?
@bananababy this thread is 7 years old so I doubt that Natashaw is still visiting the forum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now