ribston or denmark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

turtle

ribston or denmark

Post by turtle »

Hi. I'm wondering if anybody has any insights into ribston or Denmark that will help me decide which is the better for my daughter. I wasn't expecting great things with the eleven plus as her tutor had said at best it was a long shot. However, she passed for denmark and ribston (not in PAN but probably high enough). Now I have a dilemma which to send her to. I'm worried she will be out of her depth at Denmark. She had a tutor 1 hour a week for year 5 and I did maybe an hour a day with her over the summer holidays so i don't think she was excessively tutored but maybe that is why she passed? Anyway, we live Cheltenham so Denmark easier for us but is it terribly academic? Any insights into either school would be really appreciated. She is a reserved girl, not musical, a little sporty. I took her to ribston yesterday but she was a little underwhelmed. I loved it though. Visiting Denmark next week. Thank you if you can help. X
cazien

Re: ribston or denmark

Post by cazien »

You are definitely doing the correct thing by visiting schools to help you decide. In all honesty I think it is going to depend where your DD feels she would "like" to spend the next 5-7 years. Both schools have a great reputation. Both will try to bring the best out of your daughter, support her if/when she needs it and offer her a great education.

DD has just started Ribston and even though it has been a shock to the system to receive homework every day (as opposed to once a week/month at primary). spending more time travelling to school, accepted more discipline and knows detentions will be given etc, she loves it! It will be an eye opener no matter where they go as it is so different to primary schools. We were underwhelmed with HSFG - what suits on does not suit another.

Let you DD go with her gut instinct. She qualified - be proud - so she is capable. Tutors do not know everything :lol: (plus some will undermine ability in order for you to pay for more tutoring :( ).

Congrats and good luck deciding.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

I agree with Cazien about visiting the schools with DD. When I went to Ribston with DD she really disliked it, especially all of the dance and drama, she actually visibly shook with disgust.

When she visited HSFG she saw girls she knew and really liked it, she had also visited Pates and didn't like it there either and her preferred choices was HSFG and then our local comp.

The same happened with DS he preferred STR over crypt and knew where he wanted, now he is in y10 at STR and very happy.
GL2Mum

Post by GL2Mum »

Both my teenagers chose which grammar they preferred and so which one went top of the CAF. I preferred a different one for my eldest but she loved RHHS. (Although she left last summer after completing her A2s and would not choose to go there now - both of us feel that it has declined over the last 7 years in several areas and especially the last 2 years.)

My third child has also chosen which grammar they'd prefer to go to - it's far from the easiest choice in terms of location but I am respecting their choice - they are the one who is going there, not me - and if that's where they can see themselves more than the other choice(s) after going to open days and evenings then I respect their wishes.
Amber

Post by Amber »

turtle wrote: I'm worried she will be out of her depth at Denmark.
Whatever else you worry about, I don't think you need to concern yourself over that. The pace of work will not be any different there from Ribston; nor indeed from many other schools. Whether you like the place is another matter and as others have said, you need to go and look and see which feels better (and which fits best with your family). But pace of work - nah. She would be fine. :)
Dalmation

Post by Dalmation »

I have a DD in year 11 at RHHS & cannot praise the school enough! We have been so so happy with it, both educationally & her overall well being, our youngest DD has passed for Pates, Denmark & Ribston & there is no doubt she will be heading to Ribston xx
SW987

Post by SW987 »

I could have written this post myself. We have the same problem, we didn't expect DD to get the ranking for Denmark so hadn't really considered it, she has a good enough rank (271) to be in with a chance of getting Denmark and it's ideal location wise for us. We went along to see it thinking it was just a formality as we had almost decided Ribston would be first choice but we liked it, it seemed quite relaxed and friendly and I could imagine my DD there. It's always had the reputation for being academic but times do change. I know my daughter will want to stick with Ribston as first choice, she knows more faces at Ribston but i'm in two minds. It's a tough choice isn't it?
turtle

Post by turtle »

So hard to decide, yes. We went to see Denmark this morning and I really liked it. More surprisingly, so did my daughter. She liked ribston as did I and she knows several girls going there so I didn't expect her to be open minded about Denmark but she came away preferring it and saying she would rather go there. It will be so much easier to get her there which is a huge factor for me. I asked about how academic you needed to be and was told there is lots of support and extra lessons available for those who end up struggling which I hope isn't my daughter but could well be. The lady I spoke to said they anticipate going down to rank 300 which is good news too. So decision made and I'm glad both me and my daughter agreed which was the better option. I have to say travel was a huge decider. Having spent so long getting there this morning just with usual traffic, the thought of driving to the other side of Gloucester was enough to out me off ribston. That said, the delightful girl who showed us round left home at 7am for a very long commute which put out drive into perspective. Good luck to you making your decision.....
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

We knew hsfg was the best fit for our daughter yet some of her friends preferred Ribston or Pates. It's nice having the choice but they really are all good schools - swings & roundabouts! Music is very strong at hsfg & it has a lovely, 'family' feel prob due to the older buildings & smaller site. Heard very good things about Ribston also. What's more convenient? Having a short journey to sch is certainly easier & allows your DD to participate fully in the life of the school. Good luck, just go with what feels right :)