11+ CEM Reading 2017 Exams

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bronwynb

11+ CEM Reading 2017 Exams

Post by bronwynb »

Hello all

Would anyone like to share ideas or tips?

My DD is sitting in 2017 and we are home studying with (if we can manage to organise it!) some external preparation tests.
Aethel

Re: 11+ CEM Reading 2017 Exams

Post by Aethel »

bronwynb wrote:Hello all

Would anyone like to share ideas or tips?

My DD is sitting in 2017 and we are home studying with (if we can manage to organise it!) some external preparation tests.
Hi! My dd2 may be sitting in 2017 too...

Little and often is FAR easier than big lumps.
And variety is the key, whatever keeps them engsged.
And read, read, read and talk about words.
pia2007

Post by pia2007 »

read read read mantra now ..

He will be sitting for 2017

Though I am not good reader .. so I cant find great books for him to choose
Any help on Authors for him to increase his Vocab
as of now he likes J.K Rowling , David Walliams , Roald dalh
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

pia2007 wrote:read read read mantra now ..

He will be sitting for 2017

Though I am not good reader .. so I cant find great books for him to choose
Any help on Authors for him to increase his Vocab
as of now he likes J.K Rowling , David Walliams , Roald dalh
Look on Amazon, search for a book he likes, and they flag underneath a section "people who bought this book also bought...." will have lots of suggestions.

Try Diana Wynne-Jones (the Lives of Christopher Chant, Howl's Moving Castle)
Garth Nix (Monday/Tuesday/Wednesday series)
Skulduggery Pleasant series is good stuff.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Hi! I was thinking of starting a support thread & just came across this one instead.

I've got a DS who is hoping to sit the Bucks & Slough 11+ (to share with Reading School). Currently we are living in the Surrey/Kent borders but hoping to relocate closer to my family in Jan/Feb 2017. Most likely will be moving to Maidenhead as I will have a strong support network there.

So far, we haven't really started preparing for the 11+ process. I have lots & lots of 11+ books which I bought from Amazon. The intention is that we will do 1-2hr studying at the weekends as our week is pretty full & I work full time. Fingers crossed we can start this next weekend - he is refusing to do any work this weekend as it's still half term! I'm finding it hard to get him motivated about doing the additional work as he no concept at all about the 11+ exam and its importance. To be honest, I quite like it that he is ignorant, because I'm trying to take a relaxed approach & hope not to stress him out in the process.

His reading has been a bit of a hit & miss. There are days when he just devours books and others where I struggle to get him to read a single page. I made the mistake a couple of times of allowing him to choose his own books from the library. He chose the really easy books. I think I will take him to the library again & will target the authors that Aethel has kindly mentioned.

I am also planning for him to sit some mock exams. Does anyone recommend a certain provider for this?
vijayboothnath

Post by vijayboothnath »

Hi Blueberry,

When your child is reading please make sure they don't skip difficult words, I found that with my DD.
She used to read a lot, but would skip some words as the overall context is understood. The key is to stop when they find a difficult word, look up in a dictionary and make a note of the meaning.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks, I really need to start doing that & to start reading with him again. I've got a lively toddler & find that in the evenings most of my attention is on her & leaving DS to read by himself. I really must start focusing on DS more.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Don't forget, it doesn't have to be fiction that they read. Non fiction is just as good, if not better, depending on the level of vocabulary. If they have a topic that interests them it might encourage them to read more than fiction does.

Also newspapers and magazines are worth a look at too.
Orange11

Post by Orange11 »

Also, it will be a good idea to hang the whiteboard in kitchen or hallway and ask DC to write unknown/new words discovered and then parents can help with the meaning and context. This also gives sense involvement of everyone and DC will not feel alone in pursuit of 11+
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for the ideas Tinkers & Orange.

Tinkers, he doesn't really have any interests. He loves football and collecting cards and playing FIFA 17. He plays a lot of sports outside of school and loves attending Cubs. Maybe I'll see if I can get some outdoor related non-fiction books to broaden his knowledge.

Orange, someone else mentioned the whiteboard idea on the Bucks forum. This is a really great idea! Just need to find somewhere where this whiteboard can be kept.....
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now