Selection Review (Bucks)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mum2006

Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by mum2006 »

Hi,
Firstly, thank you for all the great advice that is on this forum, it has answered lots of our questions! Our son sadly didn't pass with a score of 114. Like lots of other children, he had done well in practice papers etc and although only turning 10 a few weeks before the exam, we had high hopes! He did have a blip at the beginning of the first section of the first test with missing an answer box then marking the rest of the section in the wrong boxes, which did unsettle him. We've spoken to the Head at his school this morning who is very supportive of a review. She has him marked down as a 2:2 and his levels at the end of year 5 were 5s and 5s+. His scores at the end of year 2 (KS1) were 2a's.

My question is, in your opinion/experience, do you think we have a chance of a favourable outcome?
Etienne

Re: Selection Review

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals, and thank you for your kind words! :)

Sorry you didn't get the result you were hoping for.
mum2006 wrote:She has him marked down as a 2:2
This could be all right, but it depends how many of her '2' recommendations qualified. The panel will look at how reliable/realistic her overall recommendations have been.
His scores at the end of year 2 (KS1) were 2a's.
Ideally they would have been level 3s.
My question is, in your opinion/experience, do you think we have a chance of a favourable outcome?
There's still quite a lot we don't know.
Check the list of points I've given in E32 (b):
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e32" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
mum2006

Re: Selection Review (Bucks)

Post by mum2006 »

Thanks for the reply Etienne. I'm perhaps not reading something correctly but in his end of year 2 report, the KS1 Sats/Teacher Assesment he has been given are: Attainment grade:2, Effort Grade:A, this is across all subjects. The grades are listed as 1=above expected, 2=expected and 3=below expected...so would that not make level 2 a better result than level 3?!....as you can tell, I'm confused!!!
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Perhaps you're looking at an internal rating system rather than SATs levels then? It looks that way to me.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Perhaps you're looking at an internal rating system rather than SATs levels then? It looks that way to me.
I agree - the confusion is because these don't appear to be KS1 SATs levels, they look like the school's own grading system for reports to parents.

Using this school's internal system, then ideally one would have liked to see something higher than a '1' (in other words, significantly above expected) - but the school doesn't go that far!
Etienne
mum2006

Post by mum2006 »

Thank you! I clearly need to look into this in more detail!!
mum2006

Post by mum2006 »

Agree Etienne! We actually parted company with that particular school at the end of year three! :roll:
mum2006

Post by mum2006 »

Hi again!

I now have the HT selection review summary sheet.

In order of, Reading, Writing, Maths, it reads:
KS1, all 2a's
Yr3, 3A, 3C, 3A
Yr4, 4B, 3A, 4B
Yr5 5s, 5s, 5s+

The predicted performance for July 2017 is 111-120. The recommendation is 2:2

What are your thoughts?!

Many thanks again for all the info/advice
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

mum2006 wrote:The predicted performance for July 2017 is 111-120.
Good. :)

GDS for writing?
The recommendation is 2:2
As mentioned earlier - it rather depends what the school's overall recommendations look like.
Etienne
mum2006

Post by mum2006 »

EXS for writing, which will probably fall short of what is expect sadly :? We'll send the application in and see what happens.

Thanks Etienne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now