WestCliff School for Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
aap

WestCliff School for Boys

Post by aap »

Hi

Best Wishes to all and Congragulation to all who got through!!

My son will start at Westcliff, in September . If anyone has information for transport from shenfiled to Westcliff , school induction dates , and/or any information/commets are very much welcomed...

aap
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Post by GillyGillyOxenPepper »

Hi aap,

I don't know the answers to your questions but my son too is due to go to WHSB in September and we live in Chelmsford - Just thought I'd say hi!

Is he pleased?
chewy

Post by chewy »

Hi aap and Gilly Gilly oxen pepper,I dont know the answers either but my son also goes in September we live in Stanford le Hope. He is the only one from his school going and he wont know anyone so slightly nervous but very pleased to get in.
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

There is a school bus from Shenfield that goes to Westcliff High School for boys. ( First Bus - Service 502 )

http://www.csse.org.uk/transport.htm

Check the link above.

My son attends Westcliff and is in Year 8.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Hi Blessed,

How is your son doing at WHSB? Is he doing well? Is he a sporty chap? My DS2 is very sporty and I would like to know what type of things they get up to. He is particularly good at rugby but also generally a good sportsman.

The only people I know (and thats very few) who go to WHSB are not interested in sports.

Thanks - any other comments would be gratefully received - how's the catering at lunch time?
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

Hi GillyGillyOxenPepper

My son left Westcliff last summer and is now in his first year at Durham. He loved his time there (in fact I think he was quite sad when the time came to leave although he would never admit it!!). He has always been very sporty with rugby being his favourite sport. He was in the team that won the Essex Schools Cup against William de Ferrers (who were the holders and a very good team). The rugby at Westcliff is great so your son will love it. They are good at sports in general and encourage the boys. Good luck to your son and all the other boys going there.
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Thank you so much Bev Bee, you must be very proud of your son to have got to such a good uni as Durham.

I need all the info I can get. DS2 is very sad at not being offered CRGS to be with his older brother - and won't talk about WHSB at the moment.

Thanks again - what's the food like? My DS2 has a very healthy appetite! and I think he would love to know if the food is good.
Bev Bee

Post by Bev Bee »

Yes, my son did very well and is enjoying uni - the first thing he joined was the rugby team for the college he is in!

Your son will come around - in a way it might be good for him to be in a different school (that is still a good grammar). The teaching staff won't know him and there will never be a chance of comparing him to his brother. He can make his own mark there!

The food is good with a good selection. My son started off eating the food there but found that he didn't have time to play football etc at lunchtime if he queued for the food so it didn't last very long! He ended up taking sandwiches (which I am sure he ate while playing sport!!).
GillyGillyOxenPepper

Firstly, thanks very much Bev Bee for all your kind information. I've just shown DS2 your comments and he is particularly pleased to hear about the rugby. Your son sounds very much like mine - let's hope he does as well at WHSB as yours obviously did.

Chewy...
Well done to your boy for getting his place at WHSB. What interests does he have - what is he looking forward to doing at WHSB? I hear that they have a good system for integrating newees. My son has another boy from his school going but he is from the other class and they are very different types of boys - so I think in some cases it can be easier to go alone as there is no chance that he will feel he has to be friends with someone just because he knew them at primary.
chewy

Post by chewy »

Hi Gilly Gilly oxen pepper
Congrats to your DS too. My son is into various things, but he liked westcliff the most because it felt right. He likes football and hasnt had much opportunity to play rugby. He is really looking forward to the mersea island day obstacle course.
Im glad you asked about meals etc it stopped me having to ask.
Do you know when we will get the welcome pack?.

My son is the only one who sat his 11plus at his school, so he knows he will be the only going and knew that when we discussed schools etc.
I remember from the open evening that they do really look after the newbies it was one of the things that stuck most in my mind. I am sure that they will be ok, we are trying to work out how to he will travel.
train bus etc

I will show DS this thread and I am sure he will give you a list of things that he really like about whsb.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now