Burnham to Reading Train Journey

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
willgetthere

Burnham to Reading Train Journey

Post by willgetthere »

Dear All, I am certain there would be lots of children already doing this journey every day but I was wondering how practical it is without DS missing on any extra activities etc? And how long it takes from door to door in the morning and evening? Are there any other alternatives other than the train?

We are OOC and I am aware it is unlikely to get a place in Reading boys but it was always on our top of the list. DS has scored 119.90 in reading boys and I am not expecting a place but still keen to put it as number one on the CAF. So exploring options.

Regards
Tinkers

Re: Burnham to Reading Train Journey

Post by Tinkers »

I think train is your best bet.
Anything else involves the A4 or the M4. You only have to look at the issues last week to know that Down that path lies madness, at least some of the time.

ETA, I've used used Apple maps to look at the transport options. 1 hour 25 mins from Burnham to Reading school, using the train. Probably not so great an option after all.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Not exactly what you asked, but we are contemplating a trip in the same direction as a possible trip from Langley to Burnham.

The main issue is that not all
The through trains stop at burnham so I'd advise you consider downloading a free ticket app (trainline is good) and put in your proposed journey times to see what option times you have for direct trains for your route.

The other thing worth checking is with the school: they will have a good idea of the impact of trains on their clubs and things. When we looked around Langley Grammar they were upfront that all their cluns stop at 4.30
Because so many of their pupils come from long distances or on non-moveable transport such as minibuses.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Surely public transport would be the best option to go for if you think your DS will want to get into the after school activities on offer, rather than a restricting factor? 1 hour 25 does seem quite a long train journey, though, but if you are in catchment then presumably the school considers that not to be too bad.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It's the walk from Reading train station that adds time, the train journey from Burnham to Reading is about an hour.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Tinkers, depending on the train it is 25-30 mins from Burnham to Reading. It's a journey I do occasionally and it's definitely quicker than driving (I don't know about the walk at the other end of course).
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

It's a mute point really, as the OP is not in catchment and very unlikely get a place.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Good point!
scary mum
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

How long is the walk from Reading train station to the school? My friend is considering this for her son but she lives in Maidenhead.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Apple maps says 26 mins.