coaches from ilfrod

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
raa

coaches from ilfrod

Post by raa »

are there any coaches from Ilford to westcliff and southend. we are considering these schools for dd. can someone tell me how much it cost and how was their experience of sending children that far . thanks xx
salaam

Re: coaches from ilfrod

Post by salaam »

Hi, the Maymist coach leaves Gant's Hill (outside) Iceland 6.45am. My daughter travels to Shsg on it she arrives around 8.15am. The coach leaves school promptly at 3.30 and arrives back at Gant's Hill at 5pm.The monthly cost is about £138 monthly. There is another service Crest which serves Westcliffe schools. Maymist also go to Westcliffe. The crest coaches return slightly earlier as Wesrcliffe slightly Closer. I would say the maymist service is good. Safer than travelling on train as its straight to school. Day is long but schools are excellent. There are other pick ups along the way , Newbury park and ley street then Romford. Hope this helps
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

So what happens if they want to do out of school activities or when they are on school visits?

GCSE exams won't finish by 3.30pm. What about school matches or concerts?

I cant believe you think that sort of journey is reasonable for an 11 year old ...
tian

Post by tian »

Hi
DS goes by train and it is very safe. He really enjoys the flexibility of it so he can stay for his after school clubs or get a dri k in townand travel together with other scholars.
He lives from Upminster and there are a lot youngs of from both southend and westcliff and so far ever been any issue with it.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tian wrote:Hi
DS goes by train and it is very safe. He really enjoys the flexibility of it so he can stay for his after school clubs or get a dri k in townand travel together with other scholars.
He lives from Upminster and there are a lot youngs of from both southend and westcliff and so far ever been any issue with it.
:D

Has he discovered Utopia yet?

The Toad posse can recommend the mango smoothies and the white hot chocolate 8). Or the cake with the fresh blueberries in.

Or practically anything from Shakeaway up in the Victoria Centre :lol: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tian

Post by tian »

ToadMum wrote:
tian wrote:Hi
:D

Has he discovered Utopia yet?

The Toad posse can recommend the mango smoothies and the white hot chocolate 8). Or the cake with the fresh blueberries in.

Or practically anything from Shakeaway up in the Victoria Centre :lol: .
Hi Toadmum,
No he hasn't tried yet. I will pass him the message.
I bet he will be happy to try it
salaam

Post by salaam »

Many of the clubs are run during lunchtime as the school understands a lot of children come from outside, (which is also what the head mentioned at the parents' meeting), if your child is into sports (which my daughter is not really) then there is the option of catching a train or it may not be the school for you?

My friend's daughter recently finished her GCSEs at SHSG and travelled by coach and at trains when she finished early. Regarding parents meetings there is one in the year so have to make one trip, the rest of the year we get termly reports. Yes, the day is long but my daughter is happy, we have given her the option to give it up but she does not want to change, she is not forced to go there, she is very happy and is making good progress. She sat the eleven plus and was offered the place so gladly accepted it, she is coping well with it, if you think your child will not cope then its probably not the right choice for you. Hope this helps
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

At the end of the autumn term, every year 7 is required to take part in one of the two concerts. Three forms one evening, the other three the next. Most parents like to come along to watch their DD perform - and possibly the rest of the concert, although the one year that I have been able to attend as an audience member (as opposed to being the PA member organising the refreshments), it seemed that every single year 7 parent got up and walked out as soon as their piece had finished, instead of waiting for the final two items to end. All apart from one couple who had stupidly got themselves marooned in seats on the opposite side of the hall from the the door. But don't worry, they did manage to escape - they just pushed their way along the rows of remaining audience members during the penultimate item.

There are other events during the year to which parents are invited; plays, quiz nights etc. And the year 7/ 8 discos for the pupils, held jointly with SHSB. Oh, and for your DD, helping out at the year 5 open evening (remember that?), helping to give something back to the school by advising prospective 11+ candidates and their parents, assisting with science demonstrations etc. You could come along as well and volunteer to help the PA with refreshments at any of these events.

Education is about a lot more than just turning up for lessons and doing your homework.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now