Orley Farm School Harrow. Entry into Year 7 ?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

CrazyAcademic

Orley Farm School Harrow. Entry into Year 7 ?

Post by CrazyAcademic »

Hi Everyone,
Although my son is in year 3 at a state primary, I'm starting to think about and do some research for his secondary school options. What would be the benefit/ pros / cons of trying to gain a scholarship / entry into Orley Farm for years 7 and 8? rather than straight into year 7 at a secondary school. Has anyone got experience or opinions on this? I would really like to hear from you as I wonder if it is something I should consider. Thanks for your help :)
ToadMum

Re: Orley Farm School Harrow. Entry into Year 7 ?

Post by ToadMum »

CrazyAcademic wrote:Hi Everyone,
Although my son is in year 3 at a state primary, I'm starting to think about and do some research for his secondary school options. What would be the benefit/ pros / cons of trying to gain a scholarship / entry into Orley Farm for years 7 and 8? rather than straight into year 7 at a secondary school. Has anyone got experience or opinions on this? I would really like to hear from you as I wonder if it is something I should consider. Thanks for your help :)
One point to consider is that if he goes to an independent school for those two years (I assume that this is a prep school?), you have to be prepared to commit yourself to continuing in that sector. In-year places at state secondary schools (especially good ones with very little movement of pupils before year 12) can be difficult to come by.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Bad idea in my opinion. As Toadmum says you are then stuck in the private sector.

As you have plenty of time far better to be doing some regular extra work to work towards a good state school. DG
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Daogroupie wrote:Bad idea in my opinion. As Toadmum says you are then stuck in the private sector.

As you have plenty of time far better to be doing some regular extra work to work towards a good state school. DG
Or to relocate to somewhere where you are happy with the state secondary school options?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
CrazyAcademic

Post by CrazyAcademic »

Thank you so much for all your replies. Yes it's an independent school. I think I'll shift my focus to QE boys and St Bernard's grammar. Thanks again :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

CrazyAcademic wrote:Thank you so much for all your replies. Yes it's an independent school. I think I'll shift my focus to QE boys and St Bernard's grammar. Thanks again :)
Thosae are two quite different schools in very different places if you mean St Bernards in Slough??
scary mum
CrazyAcademic

Post by CrazyAcademic »

Yes that's right St Bernard's in slough. Quite a few children at my son's primary school sit the 11 plus to get into St Bernard's and I know one boy got into QE boys too. Many go for tuition at a popular tuition centre in Slough but I'm trying to do my own research now so there is less panic when we get started. I think QE boys follow the GL exam format and St Bernard's follow the CEM format so that will be a challenge but nothing I do is ever straightforward so I'm not surprised.
AML

Post by AML »

Don't assume he will get 'scholarship entry' also.

In that part of London they are not worth much.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What area do you actually live in?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now