Transport from Thurrock to WHSG/SHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JosieC

Transport from Thurrock to WHSG/SHSG

Post by JosieC »

Hi, are there any parents on this forum who have or will have a DD travelling from Thurrock to WHSG or SHSG? I would like to know what the travel options are. So far I've found out that Amber coaches go to WHSG and transport to SHSG would be by C2C train - to Southend East station and then a 10/15 min walk to the school.

We live in Orsett, so am especially keen to hear from any families near to us!

Thank you.
ToadMum

Re: Transport from Thurrock to WHSG/SHSG

Post by ToadMum »

JosieC wrote:Hi, are there any parents on this forum who have or will have a DD travelling from Thurrock to WHSG or SHSG? I would like to know what the travel options are. So far I've found out that Amber coaches go to WHSG and transport to SHSG would be by C2C train - to Southend East station and then a 10/15 min walk to the school.

Thank you.
WHSG is also c2c - to Chalkwell. The walk is about ten minutes longer than the walk to SHSG from Southend East and much more hilly, but lots of Westcliff and Tommy More pupils do it. Just make sure your DD knows how to cross the road safely, as some of us local residents have developed a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to secondary school children too lazy to walk ten metres to the nearest pedestrian crossing suddenly launching themselves out into the road :shock:

Have you looked at the sticky at the top of the Essex section re discount rail travel to the grammar schools?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
JosieC

Post by JosieC »

Thank you Toadmum for the information! A lot to think about.... :?

ToadMum wrote:
JosieC wrote:Hi, are there any parents on this forum who have or will have a DD travelling from Thurrock to WHSG or SHSG? I would like to know what the travel options are. So far I've found out that Amber coaches go to WHSG and transport to SHSG would be by C2C train - to Southend East station and then a 10/15 min walk to the school.

Thank you.
WHSG is also c2c - to Chalkwell. The walk is about ten minutes longer than the walk to SHSG from Southend East and much more hilly, but lots of Westcliff and Tommy More pupils do it. Just make sure your DD knows how to cross the road safely, as some of us local residents have developed a zero-tolerance policy when it comes to secondary school children too lazy to walk ten metres to the nearest pedestrian crossing suddenly launching themselves out into the road :shock:

Have you looked at the sticky at the top of the Essex section re discount rail travel to the grammar schools?
Danniburke

Post by Danniburke »

Hi, I am looking into possibly starting up a service from Thurrock from September 2017 please let me know if you would be interested in the service and I will keep you updated with information.

Thank you
Danielle
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Please consider more sensible journeys for your children.

Essex roads are not great at school times.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Funnily enough, DD only mentioned this morning that she feels sorry for the girls who have to rush off for their Consortium / private coaches at the end of the day, whereas she has the freedom either to come straight home or to hang around with friends. She doesn't do extracurricular sport, but has had a lot of after school rehearsals for GCSE Drama last term and this, which is no problem, as she just gets a later train. And even if she doesn't need to stay later at school, she can choose to hang out in town - as she would have to pay on the bus and her 'Southend Vic PlusBus' friends would have to pay on the train, they usually compromise and walk, thus adding a bit of extra exercise to the day, which is all good. And makes up for the occasional visit to a cafe before they make their separate ways home :lol: . It's all part of learning to be independent, in our book.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx